Corsair Community

H80i cooling performance-80c concern?

valkrien

I just installed the new firmware for my h80i. Running at 100% load, my overclocked 2500k (4.5ghz, 1.3v) is running quite a bit hotter than when I had my Silver Arrow air cooler installed. Ambient temp is 18c. Running under load, my CPU is hitting 80c. I never went over 55-60c on the silver arrow even in the summer. I have tried push/push and pull/pull on the fans. I have those temps on the balanced setting (1500 +/- RPM). The case is a silverstone FT02. I'm not ok with these temps but are they in line with the performance expectations of the H80i??

So.. i just installed mine on a 3770k running at regular stock OC of 3.9GHZ... At Idle i'm getting ~32c and at load (Prime95) i was up to ~72c ... I've gone to the new firmware to resolve the fan grumbling, but i do have one fan that is quite loud now.. almos squealing ....

My concerns with this temperature is taht on the main page for the h80i they are advertising, 48c @ 4.6Ghz and %100 load... this is a far way off 72c or even 80c in your case.... Something doensn't seem right in either of our setups....

Suggestions?

I am having the same problem my idle CPU temp is 35C and it hits 61C with prime 95 in just 8 minutes. The CPU isn't even overclocked just all defualt setting on my Asus M5A97. I had a Scythe 1000 air cooler on before the H80i and it kept the temps down to 35C idle 55C prime 95 for as long as you want to run it at default settings. I thought water cooling was suppose to be better. I was hoping to overclock with H80i but it absolute doesn't do it's job as expected.

I have an H100i... the unit itself is working fine (re: no grinding fan noise after the latest firmware update etc.). It's in a push configuration with the stock fans it came with in my 600T case.

20C ambient

3770k at 4.5GHz... 1.25v

lower 30s idle

As soon as I start a torture test via Prime95, temps jump up into the high 70s/low 80s, even if I put the fans on full (which is quite loud actually). I could do just as good, if not better with an air cooler for half the price. It's definitely not user-error regarding the installation.

CORSAIR_H100i_PERFORMANCE.jpg.9004a067106b0263cf1bfc0344a8beeb.jpg

So... Here is what i have found... First when i was mounting my rad, i chose to mount it with the hoses at the top of the rad to accomodate a PCIE 1x card that i have... at the same I had all the fans pushing air over the rad as an exhaust... (My reasons for using it as an exhaust came from some reasearch by others that tested and found better cooling could be achieved if you could create as much positive pressure inside the case by having all other chassis fans as intakes)... Anyway...

After work last night

1. i pulled the PCIE 1x card, and moved it to one of my PCIE 16x slots

2. Flipped the rad over so that the hoses are on the bottom of the rad (as recommended by corsair.

3. Reversed both fans so that they were pulling "cooler" air into the case accross the rad...

4. Reversed my top case fans to exhaust instead of intake..

I am running both rad fans at 1200rpm.... I have changed my multiplier for the 3770k to 41....

Idle Temps - 27c to 32c

Prime load - 58c to 64c

This is much better than the >70c I was seeing in my original configuration...

Additionally after doing some more research ..(Googling :) i came accross a number of articles (toms hardware has one i know for sure) that basically says the 3770k is basically a heater... As soon as CPU voltage gets above 1.2v with any overclocking you better expect to reach some very high temps... 70c - 90c (Which is unsafe in the long run, considering Tcase temp for the 3770k is 67.4c... They seem to think it has something to do with the 22nm process or something and not being able to disipate heat as well...

In conslusion..

I'm happy with my current configuration, but really i should have looked into the feasability of using the 3770k as a "cool" running OC'ing processor.. before i went ahead and bought it...

Corsair should not advertise that this cooler can keep temps at 47c on a 3770k @4.6GHz and 100% load.... I just cant see how that is possible...(Idle temps maybe)... If it is i would love to see a video explaining exactly how it was done.... :)

Sorry for being so ... verbose...

Do you think it could be that I'm using a Silverstone FT02 case with the inverted design. The radiator is on the top of the case horizontal instead of the traditional back of the case with the radiator vertical? Would this make a difference? Maybe the water doesn't circulate as easily? Of further interest, the delta between fans on full blast and minimum is only +/- 4 degrees. Should this be a bigger delta?

I have a buddy at work here who has a similar if not identical case as you are describing... He has an h80 (not the "i" version)... 3930k processor @ 4.0Ghz... he is hard pressed to get to 60c... I think the 3930k is a 32nm processor, the same as yours so I would expect that you "should" see similar results, depeding on your overclocking and voltages set....

Do you think it could be that I'm using a Silverstone FT02 case with the inverted design. The radiator is on the top of the case horizontal instead of the traditional back of the case with the radiator vertical? Would this make a difference? Maybe the water doesn't circulate as easily? Of further interest, the delta between fans on full blast and minimum is only +/- 4 degrees. Should this be a bigger delta?

I have my H80i mounted on the top as well, my case is a FT03. No problems at all. My CPU is rated 150w and I get load temps 55c to 60c max. got pics if needed

I pulled the motherboard out and got to the bottom of the problem. What the problem was, the Asus P8P67 EVO motherboard's CPU bracket on the reverse side of the board has a metal back plate with a series of screws. The Corsair H80i bracket is barely large enough to clear the screw heads. A tiny portion of the H80i bracket was up against the screw just enough to cause a millimeter height difference with the H80i mounting screws on the front of the mainboard that stick through it. I used a dremel and grinded out about a 2mm section of the mounting bracket and now it sits flush. Temps are much better maxing out at around 62c which is a bit high considering, but safe nonetheless.

Archived