Corsair Community

Is my CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 not compatable with Asus P7P55D-E?

sthudson

I have been having problems with system crashes and blue screen for a while now, and have tried auto settings, XMP settings, and manual settings in bios trying to find a stable setup. After searching the web, and finding the memory finder, I see my motherboard is not listed. Do I have the wrong memory for this board. (Not my purchase, but the place who built my PC).

I thought it might be from having 16 gig (two 8 gig sets). So I removed one set and am still having crashes with all the settings I have tried.

Corsair CMP8GX3M2A1600C9

Asus P7-P55D-E motherboard

I'm not really a computer guy, but learned a lot by searching. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Warranty Lifetime Size 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) Performance Profile XMP Fan Included No Heat Spreader DHX+ Memory Configuration Dual Channel Memory Type DDR3 Package - Memory Pin 240 Package - Memory Format DIMM Tested Voltage 1.65 SPD Voltage 1.5 Speed Rating PC3-12800 (1600MHz) SPD Speed 1333MHz Tested Speed 1600Mhz Tested Latency 9-9-9-24 SPD Latency 9-9-9-24

Socket 1156 is one I bypassed, so can't remember if the native CPU RAM speed is 1066 or 1333. Using two RAM kits is not recommended, but if still having BSOD's with one kit, have you also tested with just the other kit? What is your BSOD Stop: error code? 050? 124? 101?

Do you have the CPUID utility CPU-Z? What does it show in the Memory Tab? Have you set the RAM to 1066 speed & tested with 9 9 9 24, CR 2 (or 1), 1.50v's, maybe 1.55-1.575v's?

The RAM you have is basically optimized dual channel for Intel platforms, so I wouldn't think compatibility is a problem. Most mainboard makers don't test every stick on the market, so not being on a tested list doesn't mean they won't work.

I thought it might be from having 16 gig (two 8 gig sets). So I removed one set and am still having crashes with all the settings I have tried.

Did you recently add this second set to get a total of 16gigs?

I ask because you said you removed one set,but i also said the shop built the system. So i was wondering how you knew which sticks went with which kit? And are they different version numbers.? That will be marked on the sticks themselves.

At this point if both kits exhibit the same symptoms it's best to test each stick individually with memtest86+ (there is a link on the left sidebar if you need it) in the first slot in your MB.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your MB and if not , please flash to the latest version. Then load set-up defaults and enable XMP then boot to memtest. and let each stick run for at least three passes each or until you receive an error. There is no point in going any further if you find errors. Rinse and repeat for the remaining sticks.

If they all pass in the first MB slot take a known good module and test the remaining slots in the MB in the same fashion.

It is time consuming , but necessary to help determine where the fault may be.

I have been having problems with system crashes and blue screen for a while now, and have tried auto settings, XMP settings, and manual settings in bios trying to find a stable setup. After searching the web, and finding the memory finder, I see my motherboard is not listed. Do I have the wrong memory for this board. (Not my purchase, but the place who built my PC).

How long ago was this system built and when did you first start seeing these BSOD's? System crashes AND BSOD's may actually point towards some other issue. Maybe PSU or MB issues. It could very well be just a corrupt OS or driver conflict too. So as HU16E suggested check your event logs and see what the stop error codes are please.

Thanks for your reply.

Warranty Lifetime Size 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) Performance Profile XMP Fan Included No Heat Spreader DHX+ Memory Configuration Dual Channel Memory Type DDR3 Package - Memory Pin 240 Package - Memory Format DIMM Tested Voltage 1.65 SPD Voltage 1.5 Speed Rating PC3-12800 (1600MHz) SPD Speed 1333MHz Tested Speed 1600Mhz Tested Latency 9-9-9-24 SPD Latency 9-9-9-24

I will try those settings. Not sure what SPD is, but I'll look it up.

Socket 1156 is one I bypassed, so can't remember if the native CPU RAM speed is 1066 or 1333. Using two RAM kits is not recommended, but if still having BSOD's with one kit, have you also tested with just the other kit?

No, going to try that also

What is your BSOD Stop: error code? 050? 124? 101?

Again, I'll look up how to find the log with error codes. I usually don't see the crash, just come back with the windows message that it has recovered from a shut down.

Do you have the CPUID utility CPU-Z? What does it show in the Memory Tab? Have you set the RAM to 1066 speed & tested with 9 9 9 24, CR 2 (or 1), 1.50v's, maybe 1.55-1.575v's?

I will try those as well. I'll attach the current CPU-Z wich is with the bios at default settings.

The RAM you have is basically optimized dual channel for Intel platforms, so I wouldn't think compatibility is a problem. Most mainboard makers don't test every stick on the market, so not being on a tested list doesn't mean they won't work.

cpuz.jpg.b622bb49ae08066034461b1472bebb88.jpg

Did you recently add this second set to get a total of 16gigs?

I ask because you said you removed one set,but i also said the shop built the system. So i was wondering how you knew which sticks went with which kit? And are they different version numbers.? That will be marked on the sticks themselves.

At this point if both kits exhibit the same symptoms it's best to test each stick individually with memtest86+ (there is a link on the left sidebar if you need it) in the first slot in your MB.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your MB and if not , please flash to the latest version. Then load set-up defaults and enable XMP then boot to memtest. and let each stick run for at least three passes each or until you receive an error. There is no point in going any further if you find errors. Rinse and repeat for the remaining sticks.

If they all pass in the first MB slot take a known good module and test the remaining slots in the MB in the same fashion.

It is time consuming , but necessary to help determine where the fault may be.

How long ago was this system built and when did you first start seeing these BSOD's? System crashes AND BSOD's may actually point towards some other issue. Maybe PSU or MB issues. It could very well be just a corrupt OS or driver conflict too. So as HU16E suggested check your event logs and see what the stop error codes are please.

I added the second set only a few days after the system was built. I was told it should be okay. Bought the same part number from the same vendor. Since the 1st set was already installed I was able to tell which set I added.

I tried the memtest the other night using the USB tool and couldn't get my machine from the USB (added removeable drive in bios as 1st), so I'll try the disc method tonight after work.

I did update the bios a few days ago to the latest. And I have set it to default and enabled XMP. That seemed to show all the right settings in CPU-Z, but I get a windows pop up message that says there is a problem with system memory about a min after boot. It doesn't crash (although I haven't left it on for any period of time becuase of the message). I will work on getting memtest to work.

The system is about a year old, and I 1st noticed the crashes after using it for a month or so. With normal use it might go for several weeks with no problems. So this is why it has teken so long for me to try different settings. I am having OS troubles though, but thought those were do to a years worth of random crashes. I can't install some programs now, some existing programs won't load, windows update can't update, ... And I have spent countless hours on each one. I wanted to get the memory (or what I thought was causing crashes) sorted out so I could do a clean install of Windows 7.

I'll work on the getting the stop codes and memtest to work. But have to leave for work now...

Originally Posted by HU16E View Post

Warranty Lifetime Size 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) Performance Profile XMP Fan Included No Heat Spreader DHX+ Memory Configuration Dual Channel Memory Type DDR3 Package - Memory Pin 240 Package - Memory Format DIMM Tested Voltage 1.65 SPD Voltage 1.5 Speed Rating PC3-12800 (1600MHz) SPD Speed 1333 MHz Tested Speed 1600Mhz Tested Latency 9-9-9-24 SPD Latency 9-9-9-24

I will try those settings. Not sure what SPD is, but I'll look it up.

SPD stands for serial presence detect, or basically the default settings of the memory and your cpu which would be 1333mhz. Tested settings would be what timings and voltage the modules were tested at the overclocked settings of 1600mhz. However your Mb defaults to 1066mhz which is still not a problem as reported in your CPUz pic.

DDR stands for Double Data Rate , so your actual frequency is 534.5 x 2 which is roughly 1066mhz.

I added the second set only a few days after the system was built. I was told it should be okay. Bought the same part number from the same vendor. Since the 1st set was already installed I was able to tell which set I added.

Unfortunately you were given wrong information. SHOULD is vague and not a guarantee. It makes no difference where you bought them , the same exact part/version number and so on.You should always purchase the amount of memory you think you are going to end up with right off the bat from ONE matched kit,or just replace them with a new kit of the capacity you need or wAntec..I also learned that lesson the hard way too. You should inform your local shop of this and even ponit them to this thread.

It's the exact same with all manufacturers of memory because they all get their chips fro the same pool of IC manufacturers.

As a matter of fact thats what brought me to these forums a few years ago.:)

Many users do add second kits and do not have issues. It was a practice started along time ago when you just add about anything to your system and it would just work. Thats no longer the case , especially when they moved the memory controller from the MB to the CPU. Memory controllers became really fineky and the need to have everything matched became more important.It just take one slight differnce between the two kits and it will cause all kinds of issues.. Including what you are seeing now.

The MB manufactures along with the memory manufacturers give you a list of modules that are compatible with your MB, but nowhere does it say it is okay to add or use multiple kits. .

This is why Corsair goes through the rigorous testing to match modules and package them into tested kits. They use multiple chips and other parts that may be changed or modified at any time(hence different version numbers). So even though the kits may be the same exact part number , they could be totally different under the hood.

I am having OS troubles though, but thought those were do to a years worth of random crashes. I can't install some programs now, some existing programs won't load, windows update can't update, ... And I have spent countless hours on each one. I wanted to get the memory (or what I thought was causing crashes) sorted out so I could do a clean install of Windows 7.

At this point i would first get your OS clean before you go any further. This could very well be the whole of the problem.

You can ignore the memory management error if it pops up again and continue to use the machine to see how it behaves. It's not going to damage anything. The worst it will do is blue screen. But just incase back up anything important you have on your HDD just in case. Well ...I shouldn't say it WON"T hurt anything, there is always a slight chance of data corruption with memory problems,and also the same with a corrupt OS.

Then test them as I instructed above. I understand this takes time, but please let us know how you make out

Thanks so much for all of the help. I used Memtest with the delault Bios and XMP settings for each stick of memory and found one that wouldn't pass any test. Just a page full of red... The other three checked out perfect. I'm using one set now and all seems good!

Now to fix my OS...

Thanks again,

Archived