Corsair Community

Why isnt my TwinX 1024 3200XL working as advertised?

Compddd

I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platnium with A64 3800. I have TwinX 1024 3200XL 2-2-2-5. I set all the dram settings to auto in bios and voltage to 2.8 and it auto recognizes my sticks at 2-2-2-5 1T. When I run the RAM test on Prime95 it fails the first test and my games are crashing. Why isn't my RAM working? I thought this XL stuff was supposed to do 2-2-2-5 on the msi board? I had the same problems with an Abit AV8 via board and a different set of OCZ ram. Neither set of RAM works with my 3800 unless I set the timings to 2.5-3-3-8 2T. Could something be wrong with the memory controller on my A64 3800? Only thing I can think of.

In a single channel MOBO like yours, you often cannot run the timings as tight as you can in a dual channel MOBO or as you could with a single stick. I'd test the sticks one at a time and run http://www.memtest86.com as well as your own stability tests. If the RAM will perform and pass the tests then it is likely your MOBO, not the RAM. Yours is a common problem. Good luck.

Mike.

Except if you had read my sig you would see that I have a MSI Neo2 939 dual channel board with a 939 3800 CPU lol
Ooops....sorry about that. I did read your sig but I did not realize that was a dual channel board. I don't buy MSI so I am not familiar with the newer boards. All these new model numbers seem to run together.

However, the same troubleshooting method will work. Try 1 stick at a time.

Pitbull, it seems you have a different issue from the poster in this thread. Not to be rude but please start your own thread. You will get much better responses to your own thread. I'd make sure you have the latest bios and consult your manual on how to manually set the RAM freqeuency. If the RAM is booting at the wrong speed, it is most likely a bios issue with MSI. You may also want to check their forums.

Good luck to you both, Mike.

I have a MSI K8N Neo2 Platnium with A64 3800. I have TwinX 1024 3200XL 2-2-2-5. I set all the dram settings to auto in bios and voltage to 2.8 and it auto recognizes my sticks at 2-2-2-5 1T. When I run the RAM test on Prime95 it fails the first test and my games are crashing. Why isn't my RAM working? I thought this XL stuff was supposed to do 2-2-2-5 on the msi board? I had the same problems with an Abit AV8 via board and a different set of OCZ ram. Neither set of RAM works with my 3800 unless I set the timings to 2.5-3-3-8 2T. Could something be wrong with the memory controller on my A64 3800? Only thing I can think of.

I have this same mobo with a 3500+ and TwinX1024-3200XLPro @ 215 (5xHT)2-2-2-5-11@1T.....these MSI K8N Neo2 boards are flaky as all get out! I also have the ASUS A8V Rev. 2.0 with a 3500+ and TwinX1024-3200XLPro @ 225 (5xHT) 2-2-2-7-11@1T which beats the crap out of this MSI Anandtech special......225 @ 1:1 is 450DDR, much less 225 @5x = 1125HTT.

Anyways, I will post bios settings when I get home from work......as I'm pretty sure that this is the problem.

K8N Neo2 3DMark01<----click it.

Try these bios settings......MANUALLY change these in the bios:

Go to CELL MENU

Max Memclock [200]

Memory Timing [1T]

Tcl [2]

Trcd [2]

Tras[5]

Trp[2]

High Performance Mode [Manual]

Aggressive Timing [Disable]

Dynamic Overclocking [Disable]

Spread Spectrum[Disable when overclocking.....Enable if you are not]

HT Frequency [5x]

Cool N Quiet [Disable]

Adjust CPU Ratio [12x]

Adjust CPU FSB Frequency [200]

If you're into overclocking then ClockGen for the NF3 250Ultra chipsets is a real nice program for this board.

I solved the problem by setting ram voltage to 2.7, agp voltage to 1.60, and cpu voltage to 1.55. Just ran Prime95 for 8 hours 8 mins with no errors at 2-3-2-10 1T. Also I returned the 3200XL and got a set of 1GB Patriot that does 2-3-2-5 timings. Was only 159.99 lol, why would I spend 299.99 for an extra nanosecond if Im not into overclocking? Plus the headspreaders are sky blue with american flags on them! hehe

P.S. yes these MSI Neo2 boards are flaky like Lico said.

Archived