Corsair Community

Numerous problems with the AX1200i (knocking/clicking noise, coil whine etc.)

cfrea

I've built up a few systems now with the AX1200i and have had numerous problems with them. I am hoping that maybe this information can be passed onto the engineers so a solution can be reached.

The first problem I have noticed in at least four units is a popping/knocking noise occurring approximately every 15-20 seconds. I have isolated it to the power supply and know for certain it's coming from there. I haven't had a chance to record the noise, but the best way I could explain it is as a dull knocking sound coming from inside the power supply. My unit is plugged directly into the wall.

The second issue I have noticed on two units is that the 24pin connector does not fully seat into the power supply. I have notified ramguy@corsair.com but never received a response. I have posted a video on youtube depicting the problem here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkK3Ufqe_70

Finally I have noticed coil whine coming from two power supplies as others have posted as well.

Hopefully these issues are resolved in later production runs.

• Corsair Employees

The Cable issue has been reported to the Product manager.

But the Coil wine is harder to determine the cause as it can be cause by external components or by unstable ground or power. But I will let our Engineering know about your statements.

And I have not seen a issue with Knocking or clicking from these PSU's can you get one of the units that is displaying this symptom and set it to where you can see the fan and see if it coincides with the fan spinning?

Any of these PSU's with a specific issue I would create an RMA on and let me know the Case number and the specific Issue and we would sure like to get them back here to test.

The Cable issue has been reported to the Product manager.

But the Coil wine is harder to determine the cause as it can be cause by external components or by unstable ground or power. But I will let our Engineering know about your statements.

And I have not seen a issue with Knocking or clicking from these PSU's can you get one of the units that is displaying this symptom and set it to where you can see the fan and see if it coincides with the fan spinning?

Any of these PSU's with a specific issue I would create an RMA on and let me know the Case number and the specific Issue and we would sure like to get them back here to test.

Hi please see below you will clearly hear the noise I am hearing. I move the camera around after every time I hear the click.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Mg4htZemo

I get exactly the same knocking noise with my AX860i, it doesn't disturb me much, I can only hear it in a very quiet environment, usually at night when there is no noise around me..

I think, it's something to do with the fan, when I turn the fan on with Link, the knocking noise disappears.

I wouldn't worry too much about the knocking noise, it's not loud at all but the whine is indeed disturbing :sunglasse

I am now 100% sure the knocking noise comes from the fan, both my AX860i and AX1200i are doing it. I ran both PSUs with the fan facing up and I could clearly hear the noise coming from the fan.

Looks like when the fan if not spinning, there is still some voltage sent to the fan and it creates a small knocking noise every 10-15 seconds or so.

I am sure this could easily be fixed with a firmware update.

I am now 100% sure the knocking noise comes from the fan, both my AX860i and AX1200i are doing it. I ran both PSUs with the fan facing up and I could clearly hear the noise coming from the fan.

Looks like when the fan if not spinning, there is still some voltage sent to the fan and it creates a small knocking noise every 10-15 seconds or so.

I am sure this could easily be fixed with a firmware update.

It is a sound coming from power supply fan, the fan tries to start but it doesn't because of quiet operation mode.

In this mode, the power supply gets around 40 degrees hot. I think it would be better to turn the fan on.

have you had problems with usb dongle? I have it switched in my asrock fatal1ty champion and it didn't start till I modified bios with a pair of values.

Would like to know, too, if it is normal that the usb dongle is blinking red (or orange) and green in windows 7 with link2 installed.

That is normal and just showing activity.

Hello Ram Guy and thanks for the reply.

I would like to know if it is normal that in quiet operation mode the fan, every 5 seconds, tries to start and doesn't, while temperature is around 42 degrees.

I am having trouble with usb dongle, which doesn't let me start my pc.

I filled an rma request and still waiting for corsair reply (I live in Spain).

• Corsair Employees
The fan is controlled by both load and temp and its not uncommon for it to pulse at low RPM's or when its about to start. But I would run an instance of 3d Mark or something like that and Prime 95 to put a load on the system and see if the fan starts spinning after a few Minutes.

I have run 3dmark11 and the fan spins for 2 seconds only. I suppose that temps and power don't reach high.

I don't have usb dongle connected any more (because of pc start), and deinstalled corsair link2 because of bsod in storport.sys (the corsair software causes problems with rapid storage enterprise drivers, resulting in a bsod). After deinstalling, no more bsod's.

I made an rma request for usb dongle, but corsair has not contacted me yet.

• 11 months later...

Archived