Corsair Community

Force GT 480 GB - BSOD in AHCI - Random hangs in IDE

Shappie

This is my last try before an RMA. Frankly, I'm getting a little fed up. Here's what's happening and what I have done so far.

I got the Corsair Force GT a few days ago. Plugged it in, installed Windows no problem, and started installing all the normal stuff. Pretty quickly I started noticing that at random times the computer would simply hang for anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute. I unplugged all of my other hard drives first to see if it was one of those - it wasn't. The firmware was already 5.03 so there was no need to update it.

After searching for awhile I saw that it might work if I switched to AHCI mode. Well, my computer didn't like that for whatever reason and would not boot. So I made sure AHCI was enabled in the BIOS, enabled the correct driver for the SATA 3 port, and reinstalled Windows.

To my amazement, it worked! It was even running faster than before and I scored a 7.9 in the Windows rating dealio. So you can imagine my disappointment when I started getting intermittent BSOD's. Huzzah. I looked up some of the error codes and they pointed to problems with the SSD but I could not get anything more specific than that. I've included a .zip file that has four dump files from the four separate occasions that I BSOD'd.

Well BSOD's are pretty unacceptable to me so I switched back to IDE mode. It boots, still works fairly well, but now I'm getting the hangs again. This makes gaming impossible and basically everything else really annoying. At this point I'm at a loss. I've also tried switching SATA cables, getting rid of the pagefile, and switching SATA ports to no avail.

Any advice is appreciated. I have no idea what to do at this point and if I can't find a solution here I will be returning the drive. It's absolutely incredible when it works so I would love to be able to get this functional. In AHCI mode as well, if possible. It seemed to run quite a bit faster but maybe I was just imagining things. Thanks for reading my wall of text!

Minidump.zip

BIOS yes. Chipset...I don't think so.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.asp?Model=Fatal1ty%20P67%20Performance&o=All

That is where I download my drivers/utilities for my motherboard. Under drivers I think the only ones I have installed are the Intel Management Engine driver and the USB 3.0 driver. Should I just go through the list and get all of them? I don't know what most of them do so I just didn't all of it.

Also I did try secure erasing the SSD with Parted Magic but after it loaded it spit out the CD and I got some sort of error and couldn't continue. I put the CD back in and the screen got all screwed up and I couldn't click anything. I didn't really give it a second try. Is this a common error or something easy to fix maybe?

Well I installed the chipset drivers and they didn't change anything. I then booted into Parted Magic and secure erased the SSD, restarted, made sure it was set to AHCI, and installed Windows. Before I even finished downloading Windows updates I blue screened.

Enough is enough. Unless anybody has some last minute trump card fix-all kind of solutions for me, I'm going to RMA the drive. I feel like I've tried everything now and I'm getting pretty sick of trying. I must have a faulty drive or something because nothing I have done has changed anything for the better. In fact, the rate of hangs/BSODs only increased.

Thanks for your help!

I tried looking up the codes but the best I found was that "it is a hard drive issue". Could not find a fix or get anything more specific than that. Most of the time the error code I got was related to Windows XP and sleep/hibernation or something. I have hibernation disabled so that shouldn't be affecting it anyhow.

I also tried it in my roommate's system today to no avail. Same problems. I'm about 99.9% sure it's just the drive having an issue.

I started the RMA process through Amazon (where I bought it). I appreciate the responses and will update the post when my new drive comes in. Thank you!

Well I'm now at a total loss. I got the new drive today and am having the exact same problems. Random BSODs in AHCI mode and random hangups in IDE mode. All the latest drivers and firmwares are installed. No idea what to do to make this work anymore!

Archived