Corsair Community

CSSD-V64GB2 beginning to lock-up

nortigid

Disclaimer: I read event viewer logs for 8 hours a day. And this will be a long, and overly detailed event log of my experience. There will be a tl;dr at the end, if you choose to read that.

About 48 hours ago, my computer experienced its first lock-up in 18 months. Programs became unresponsive, mouse cursor still moved, HDD activity light was solid. After approximately 3 minutes, the computer restarted. No BSoD, no warning/error/critical entries in event viewer. Just an informational entry upon reboot stating an unexpected shutdown.

I paid it no mind, and went about my business. About 2 hours later, the same thing happened again. This time upon reboot, it would not successfully load the OS (hung at Loading Operating System..). Rebooted to check the BIOS, and all three of my mechanical drives are present, SSD is vacant. So I power hot swap the power in and out of the SSD and restart. Unit boots successfully.

The next morning, I awoke to the same message as the previous day "Loading Operating System.." -- clearly the computer had a fit during the night and rebooted. Again, all three mechanical HDD's show up, SSD is vacant. Repeat my process from the day prior; all is well again.

Now I'm becoming curious. It couldn't possibly be my SATA controller as the other drives are still showing up without fail. I did swap out the power/data cables, as well as the port it was plugged into (from the 3GB/s to the 6GB/s). Same result. Mechanicals show up fine on their respective controller ports, SSD still vacant (this is after the next freeze).

Fast forward a few hours. Doing some light work on the computer when I see the HDD activity light become pegged for 4-5 seconds. I quickly reach down to my case, hot swap the power in and out (on the SSD), and the HDD light immediately goes out and the computer becomes responsive again. Interesting sidenote: you have about 3 seconds to plug the unit back in before you get a F4 BSoD (critical object termination).

So at this point, I've figure out how to avoid my computer rebooting. I've also figured out how to correct the problem of the device not detecting in the BIOS. However, I am suspicious that there may be imminent failure that I am simply postponing.

I see a lot of threads that are suggesting full image/wipe/restore -- some suggest firmware -- while others suggest RMA. Looking for a suggestion on my course of action. I DO have AMD drivers installed, my BIOS is current (as are all applicable drivers on my system), and I am running in AHCI (both BIOS and user/OS mode).

Attached are CrystalDiskInfo and ATTO snapshots. Thanks for reading.

tl;dr -- ssd is starting to lock up, found a way to fix it but wondering if there is something more serious going on.

CDI.thumb.png.d65c47971fd947b4b8f3dfdd0271f025.png

ATTO.png.5bacad6f362b6065eee969daef58b018.png

If you have important data on the SSD, I'd suggest you back it up immediately.

The ATTO results are fine.

These are the advertised speeds for the drive.

Read Performance

215 MB/second

Write Performance

130 MB/second

Check your BIOS and Windows settings and disable any power savings, See if the SSD will dropout.

If it does, Try the SSD on another computer and see if it also does the same thing.

If you have important data on the SSD, I'd suggest you back it up immediately.

The ATTO results are fine.

These are the advertised speeds for the drive.

Check your BIOS and Windows settings and disable any power savings, See if the SSD will dropout.

If it does, Try the SSD on another computer and see if it also does the same thing.

All power options have been disabled since my initial install. Hibernate/Suspend/Sleep (S3/S4) are all disabled, as well as HDD sleep. BIOS is not set to resume last power state. I'll try keeping it plugged into another desktop this evening to see if the issue persists.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So at this point, my SSD has been stable for 20 hours with minimal load. I forgot to take the SSD out of my desktop and put it into a shell machine. So, without changing any variables, and being away from it for 16 hours, it has been stable.

Archived