Corsair Community

3200c2pt & 3200xl

Marvelmouse

I've read all the sticky threads about mixing different modules and i think i got the idea but I'm quite reluctant about throwing away my 512 Mb of Ram so i'll post the question anyway hoping there's still a chance.

I've got a pair of Corsair modules cmx256a-3200c2pt rev 1.1 in the first and third slot of my asus p4p800 deluxe ( latest bios: 1017 ) in dual channel with the following settings:

performance mode: turbo

ddr voltage: 2,85

cpu external frequency: 215 ( 1:1 )

cas latency 2

ras precharge 2

ras to cas delay 3

precharge delay 6

burst length 4

memory acceleration mode: enabled

As you can see the system is oc but completely stable.

I want to upgrade my system increasing the amount of ram to reach a total of 1 GB but I cannot find another two modules of cmx256a-3200c2pt rev 1.1... so my question is:

can I use a pair of 256 modules 3200xl in the second and fourth slot of my mobo mantaining the dual channel (obviously with the settings and timings of the 3200c2pt)? or this two types are completely not compatible? will another rev of 3200c2pt do the work instead?...in the end....is there a way to keep my old ram?

another thing...I've read more than once that the only difference between a normal module and a "pt" one is the colour of the heatsink...but if you go and see the specifics on corsairmicro.com you will discover that cmx256a-3200c2 is certified for 2-3-3-6 while the cmx256a-3200c2pt (which is actually my RAM ) is 2-3-2-6...is it an error? Could cmx256a-3200c2 be the right modules to upgrade my system?

Thx in advance for the answers.

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry, but the timings for this module would be Cass 2-3-3-6 on Intel platform! That was indeed a Typo error.

Mixing memory can be tricky at best, but you should be able to use a faster module as long as you set the timings manually and you are not mixing them in dual channel (IE: old A1 and New in B1)! That being said, some MB seems to still have some bios issues and may not post if the modules are not exactly matched! In other words you will need to set the timings manually and it should run as long as the memory is in its own channel!

• Corsair Employee
Yes, but I really would not suggest mixing memory, as it can be tricky sometimes and some MB's just will not post with different modules even with the timings set manually! However, if you want to try it you have to set the memory Frequency and timings manually or it may not post!

Archived