Corsair Community

HP Media Center PC vs. Corsair Memory; Max RAM

MediaCenterGuy

I'm ready to order an HP Media Center PC. I was lucky to get specs (below), but haven't again hooked up with an HP tech person I'll trust for the questions below...

Model number: D7223M

Introduction date: 18 June 2004

System Chassis: HP Media Center m1000 Photosmart chassis (m1050y)

Motherboard: ASUS PTGD1-LA (custom for HP; ASUS doesn't have specs)

HP Media Center name: Puffer-UL8E

Chipset: i915P (I'll get P4 560 3.6 GHz with Hyper-Threading)

Front-Side Bus: 800 MHz

Memory: PC3200 DDR

Memory slots: Four DIMMs

Maximum memory: 4GB (4 x 1GB)

1st: Is Corsair XMS memory compatible with the system I'll order? If so, what's (a) the part # for the 1GB XMS DIMM appropriate for my system, (b) the value over Value Select memory?

2nd: What's the part # for a 1GB Value Select DIMM appropriate for my system?

3rd (most confusing): HP specs say 4GM max RAM (though HP's ordering web pages say 3GB). Other memory manufacturer's web sites say 3GB max. All say physically possible to add > 3GB, one cautions that "may cause major problems".

Tech person at ASUS explained a lot of possibilities, couldn't be specific. Suggested the RAM Guy as the most knowledgeable resource around, so that's why I'm here!

Without unnecessarily spending for a 1GB DIMM (which could "cause major problems" to boot), how do I determine if I can take advantage of 4 GB of RAM?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

1st: Is Corsair XMS memory compatible with the system I'll order? If so, what's (a) the part # for the 1GB XMS DIMM appropriate for my system, (b) the value over Value Select memory?

OEM systems do not give you the options to over clock! So I would suggest you go with VS2GBKit533D2 with this system as that would be 2-1.0 Gig modules sold as a pair!

2nd: What's the part # for a 1GB Value Select DIMM appropriate for my system?

VS2GBKit533D2 for 2 1.0 Gog modules or VS1GBKit533 for 2-512 Meg modules!

3rd (most confusing): HP specs say 4GM max RAM (though HP's ordering web pages say 3GB). Other memory manufacturer's web sites say 3GB max. All say physically possible to add > 3GB, one cautions that "may cause major problems".

Well this maybe a grey area so to speak! Many of the chipsets that will see 4.0 Gig Max will be seen as Bits not Bytes so that would be about 3.65 Gig of memory minus any other memory for Video or cache on the CPU or LAN cards and may be why they say a max or 3.0 Gig of memory! Howevr, I would need to know the exact chipset they use to confim that is the issue with this system!

(the following was in the original post)

Model number: D7223M

Introduction date: 18 June 2004

System Chassis: HP Media Center m1000 Photosmart chassis (m1050y)

Motherboard: ASUS PTGD1-LA (custom for HP; ASUS doesn't have specs)

HP Media Center name: Puffer-UL8E

Chipset: i915P (I'll get P4 560 3.6 GHz with Hyper-Threading)

Front-Side Bus: 800 MHz

Memory: PC3200 DDR

Memory slots: Four DIMMs

Maximum memory: 4GB (4 x 1GB)

Thanks for your help!!!

• Corsair Employee
This would suggest you would need DDR1 and not DDR2. In addition, I would not suggest you mix the memory that comes with this system and our modules! For best performance and conpatibality I would suggest either Twinx1024-3200 or Twinx2048-3200 with this system!

• 1 month later...

OK, we've had the Media Center m1050y for a while, have the OS relatively stabilized, drives partitioned and set up for performace (as best as possible). My wife has already chewed up a chunk of the 250 GB external drive I added for her PVR activities. Adobe Creative Suite (CS) arrived and we're ready to put the system to some serious work. So it's time to buy the upgrade to 4 GB of RAM...

I've read most of your Tech Notes and browsed parts of the Memory Basics Workshop. But uncertainty creeps in every time I think I'm confident in my understanding of latency issues.

I'll appreciate your confirmation that the aggressive latencies of the TWINX2048-3200C2 RAM (2-3-3-6) will actually be used by the P4 560 3.6 GHz Hyper-Threading i915P chipset in the m1050y (ASUS PTGD1-LA motherboard, 800 MHz front-side bus; custom for HP, ASUS doesn't have specs and HP won't disclose). No attempt will be made to overclock the system, even if that is possible with this configuration.

A data point, for what it's worth... SiSoftware's SANDRA tells gives me this info about the RAM currently in the system:

Memory Module(s)

Memory Module 1 : Siemens 64D32300GU5C 03260E17 256MB 8x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-333-500 (CL3 up to 200MHz) (CL2.5 up to 167MHz) (CL2 up to 133MHz)

Memory Module 3 : Siemens 64D32300GU5C 03260C13 256MB 8x(32Mx8) DDR-SDRAM PC3200U-333-500 (CL3 up to 200MHz) (CL2.5 up to 167MHz) (CL2 up to 133MHz)

I have to admit that the three CL specs SANDRA reports add to my latency confusions. Does Corsair memory perform in the same latency-inversly-proportional-to-memory-speed manner?

Also, presuming the aggressive 2-3-3-6 latencies are used, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the relative value of the 4 CMX1024-3200C2 modules (adds ~ $180 cost) as opposed to 4 of the CMX1024-3200 modules (3-4-4-8 latencies). My wife and I are advanced to expert with computers, impatient for maximum responsveness and overall performance, and we'll be using CS to do extensive, multi-hour graphics editing & enhancement projects on high-res images, many which will be full-res TIFF files from 8-to-14 megapixel cameras. Some of the high-res graphics will wind up in page layout projects and/or processed for large format printing (3'x5' & larger). We'll also do the occasional DVD video. Neither of us are into graphics intensive action games. We plan to run this system for 4-to-8 years.

Thanks again for your impressive guidance and collection of resources!

• Corsair Employee
Well, let’s start with Max memory; I would really encourage you to not use more than 2.0 Gig of memory for best over all performance. 4.0 Gig of Ram is nice too have but it's not really needed unless you are using your system as a server and run a lot of applications that use large chunks of memory. In addition, OEM systems will not offer you the choices in the bios to set some of the timings and voltages you may need to run a more aggressive memory module like CMX1024-3200C2! So I would suggest you just go with one Twinx2048-3200 for this system. Not too mention, WinXP will not let applications use more than 2.0 Gig or memory, so that would optimal for what you are planning!

OK. Thanks.

But if I do order the CMX1024-3200C2 DIMMs in anticipation of using them when building our next round of systems, will they function correctly in the m1050y?

(I'm frustrated with the manufacturer's customized-system ordering processes in trying to get higher performance systems. Took me as long to research and order options as it would have for me to build a system.)

Archived