Corsair Community

Memory selection and installation

GJintheUK

Hi all.

I'm an absolute novice, so, apologies right now for asking a couple of "dumb" questions :o: .

Im about a week away from building a whole new PC - my old Pentium 3 is on its last legs and with a hard drive geometry error (?) just adding to the "fun" :evil:

I've choosen one of the new Intel own 915GEVLK motherboards (now that they've got over their little production hiccups on the 915 chipset), and the motherboard accepts 4 x DDR2 533mhz PC4300 modules.

Now, the in-built graphics on the motherboard "steal" some of the main memory during heavy graphics applications, so I'm looking at about 1gb of DDR2 memory - but, as DDR2 is quite new, and quite pricey, is it going to be ok to install 1 x 512mb XMS2 Pro next week, use the PC for a couple of months, and then buy an identical 512mb XMS2 Pro, making the 1gb up over two slots.

My main reason for asking this is that I recall that earlier Pentiums needed their memory install in pairs ONLY.

Also, I'm interest in the "Pro" version of the DDR2 XMS2 as I'm hoping that the LED displays on them will help me to identify a "Hung PC" (through the PC cases Window side). eg: No flashing lights on the memory = nothing happening = hung PC.

Is that how the Pro LED's can be used?

Dispite the window case, I'm not looking at Overclocking anything on this PC - its a home business PC, so CL "this", and frame rate "that" are of little interest to me.

• Corsair Employees
The Intel version of this chipset will not have any of the options needed to over clock to the rated speed of our module! In addition, you will need to use 2 modules to use dual channel, but all of these MB's will run with just one module! I would however, suggest you get the modules you plan on using, you might consider VS1GbKit533D2 as that would be 2 512 Meg DDR2 modules and may be a bit less cost!

Thanks for that info.

So I could add one (single) 1gb module now, and a 2nd 1gb module in a couple of months and the PC would work "reasonably" well even without 2 memory cards "paired" within.

Can you offer any information on the "Pro" models, LED usage part of my question above?

• Corsair Employees

Weather the modules in question are Pro or PT would not matter as long as the modules are exactly matched! That being said, I would encourage you to get the modules in a Twinx set for best performance and compatibility! There are no plans to change the IC's but 2 months is a long time in electronics manufacturing and who knows what might change! This chipset will not support modules that are not exactly matched!

That being said, as long as the modules are exactly the same in part# and revision there should be no problem!

Archived