Corsair Community

CMX512-3500C2 Replacement

dcflux

Seeing as the Corsair XMS-3500 series in a 512MB module is almost impossible to find another stick to go with the one I have, I have decided to retire it. I managed to find a couple sticks that match what I have, but they are either in Russia, a shadey hole in the wall computer store, or prohibitaley expensive. And then there are the warrenty issues, If it fails, Corsair doesn't even have any sticks to replace it with, they will send PC-3700 with lousey timings and call it good.

Does anyone have any recomendations for a 1GB setup? Prefferably dual 512MB modules. I was looking at OCZ Performance Series Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-950&depa=1

It is CAS2.5 but that doesn't matter much to me as I need 1024MB and it is a cheap solution. Anyone know what the overclocking potential is on the OCZ? This will go in a ASUS A7V600 with Via KT600 Northbridge running a AthlonXP 2700+ T-Bred B at 210MHz (420) FSB until I get a peltier device. I can run 434 but not stable enough to run windows XP.

Sorry, Cannot trust Corsair again. Can you suggest any other manufacturer?

Apparently the same Memory chips are used in the 3200LL series, although these are too expensive to purchace with hopes that it may work with the 3500C2, What are the differences in the module? Is it just the label or is it the timings that are burned into the eeprom of the module? If that is true is there anyway to softflash a stick so it thinks it is 3500C2?

Sorry, Cannot trust Corsair again. Can you suggest any other manufacturer?

Ummm.... NO.

Apparently the same Memory chips are used in the 3200LL series, although these are too expensive to purchace with hopes that it may work with the 3500C2, What are the differences in the module? Is it just the label or is it the timings that are burned into the eeprom of the module? If that is true is there anyway to softflash a stick so it thinks it is 3500C2?

Ultimately 3500C2 are tested at that speeds and warrantied at that speed. Even assuming you could flash them (which I doubt is possible in a consumer environment), they still aren't the same thing, nor are they warrantied at the higher speeds, as well as I doubt they would be covered under warranty if you do that.

• Corsair Employees

LOL! O.K. Well I dont know about that, what do you think Wired? :asskick:

XMS3500C2 and XMS3200LL Rev 1.1 did use the same IC's when they were first produced, that is true! However, XMS3200LL 1.2 and later revisions use another IC and would not be compatible.

Most of the chipsets and or Bios will not be able to translate different modules, and the reason they should be matched! Sorry but that is a limitation of the MB not the memory! As far as working with any manufacturer, there are too many possible combinations to even begin too guess. However, every one would face the same issue as we have with the IC's, you might find some one that still have a module based on Winbond Rev B -5 but weather or not the SPD is set the same is a good question. All I can tell you would be what our SPD is set too which is:

Modules that were produced;

Before January 2003 the SPD would be set to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 at 166 MHz.

After January 2003 the SPD would be set to Cass 2.5-3-3-8 at 200 MHz

:eek: :wtfman: :rolleyes: :sillygrin :nono: :rant: :rant2: :thinking: :hihi: :brick: :laughcry: :ar: :bomb: :beatchair :...: :hmmm: :rofl: :nutkick: :faceslap: :flamethro

I like this response better :)

dcflux, you can't really expect a serious answer to that first question. :D:

Archived