Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe 2.0 and XMS PC3200XL Pro

smarsh1966

Hi,

i have had problems with stability (specially during 3d gaming) with these new TWINX Modules (512x2) i installed yesterday together with a Barton XP3200+

My System:

A7n8X-Deluxe 2.0, Bios 1008D

Athlon XP3200+ (200X11)

TwinX 512x2 XMS PC3200XL Pro modules (started at 2225 running at DDR400)

Ati 9800 Pro

WD raptor 74Gb

WD 80Gb 8Mb Buffer IDE (2x)

Pioneer A07 Burner

Yamaha 52x Burner

Koolance Exos-Al

Enermax 420 Watt PS

Windows XP Pro SP2

So, i tried the default settings at 2225 and the OS seemed to be fine, i started DoomIII and minutes later it crashed saying unable to write to memory. I Then ran MemTest86 3.1a and fails on Test #6, all other testst are fine. I get 37 errors (below and above 512 MB)

I then relaxed the settings somewhat (2335) and run MemTest again... get 1 error at Test#6. I increase the DDR voltage to 1.75 (as well as the CPU core V one notch up).... Don't get any errors on Test#6 (all others OK also)

I play DoomIII, after about 1 hour....crash again. Does the same after a while with UT Demo.

I relax the settings further to 2336 and run MemTest overnight. This morning i get about 25 errors (Test#6 again, all others OK)...

The errors don't appear at the same memory locations every time, so i think the RAM is 'physically' ok?????

Prior to the XP3200+ and the XMS/XL/Pro i had an XP2800+(333) and running generic RAM at 333 by SPD. NO PROBLEMS with Doom.

I ran CPU burn overnight (night before last) without problem...CPU seems to be fine.

Any insight?

I was thinking perhaps my Enermax 420W PS may not be enough anymore? or is it the RAM.

Thanks.

Sam :sigh!:

• Corsair Employee

I would try and reset the bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings:

Please get the latest bios first thing and then load setup defaults and set the timings manually to the following!

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts

AGP Voltage:1.6 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 400 MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5

Then please use http://www.memtest.org to test the modules one at a time, and lets make sure one is not failing or weak! At least 2-3 passes!

• Corsair Employee
Well, please try the bios reset and let me know if you get errors with one module or with both! If you get the same type of errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem, and I would test them in another system to be sure!

Applied 1008 Bios to the A7N8X-Deluxe Mobo and set the parameters as suggested....

Did some intial testing and it looked good (better than before, initially with 0 errors).... Then after a while of gaming, same memory write crash again..... Ran Memtest overnight and got 1 error on test #6 with a total of 19 passes.

I re-arranged the RAM to slots 2 and 3 and left it testing during the day. If all looks good i will call it a day, if not i will do the individual stick testing as suggested. I also cleaned the contacts on the slots with some Caig ProGold to rule out improper contact or seating.

Will let you know the results.

2 questions though.

1. By default (left that way as instructed by you) the FSB SpreadSPectrum is enabled in Bios 1008 at 0.5%.... In some intial testing i did, disabling this actually increased the number of errors on test #6.... BTW, i have only gotten errors on test #6 all others check out fine. Why do you think FSB SS is having any affect?

2. I did it anyway, but why the bump in V to 1.6 on the AGP?

Thanks.

Sam

• Corsair Employee
AGP VDQ will sometimes help with memory especially with random failures like you have reported, depending on the make and model of PSU and Video Card! But I would not have a problem replacing your modules if you want to try that! Just let me know!

Great News!

everything hunky-dory now... Running 2225, FSB 400, GPU at 1.6, DDR at 1.7... FSB and AGP SS Disabled. Ran Memtest 3.1a for 29 Cycles and 0 errors!!! Running 1008_r2 Uber Bios.

The fix? RAM did NOT like being in Slots 1 and 3, moved them to 2 and 3 and worked! (cannot say that the Caig ProGold cleaning did not help, but i am NOT going muck with the system now!).

Thanks for your help. Going to spend some time Benchmarking now.

Sam

Archived