Corsair Community

Problems in dual-channel mode - ABIT IC7-G mobo

VisualMan

I have 2 Gb worth Corsair XMS512 PC3200 C2 RAM, and I'm experiencing a program crash (during rendering 3D scenes) whereby it continually dumps me back to desktop. I've narrowed the problem down to the RAM operating in DC mode, so when I take 1 Gb out, and put two chips in banks 1 & 2, so no DC, the program in question renders perfectly, try the chips in banks 1 & 3 and it crashes during rendering. I've run Memtest, and all four modules pass 100%. My CAS and all related BIOS settings are as per recomendations on Corsairs website, I'm not overclocking either, so there's no undue stress on my machine, the spec of which is:

ABIT - IC7G

P4 - 3.0Ghz

MSI GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256Mb (61.76 drivers)

Win 2k - SP4

430 watt psu

For info, the software I'm using is a package called

'Visual Nature Studio' and is used for landscape rendering, which is why I need lots of fast RAM, that and the need to have Far-Cry running as it should ;): !

Please help!

cheers

• Corsair Employee

Please try and load setup defaults and then set the timings as listed bellow:

CPU Freq: 200 MHz

Memory Freq: 100% or 1-1

Resulting Frequency: 400MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

And In would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and leave any performance

Setting to AUTO or bios default. Then please test then one up with http://www.memtest.org and lets amke sure one is not failing!

:eek: tried those new settings, and Memtest showed up errors beginning from test 3 (Tests 3 & 5 generates the most). It ran for 2 cycles and by the end had found over a 1,000 errors.

Doesn't look good, where next? :confused:

Ram Guy

good news and bad really.... I was able to test on an identical system in terms of mobo and processor....fired it up....and it failed in test one straight away....then tests 3,4 & 5 produced errors :eek: . In total, by the end of cycle one, over 1000+ errors had shown up again (more than in my original test :!:).

FOr info, these were in memory ranges from 100Mb - 2Gb, so pretty much all over the shop.

DOesn't look good, where now :confused:

:sunglasse cheers for continued help on this

Ram Guy,

I've tested this thing to death now, including throwing Prime95 at it (which failed on self-test 1 & 2 :eek: ). Come to think of it, I do get odd crashes on my machine where it reboots of it's own accord, although these are few, but it might explain things if there's a hardware fault.

Incidentally, the modules were bought through OverClockers UK, can they be sent back there (they are just over 1 yr old) or would they have to be posted to good ol' Fremont?

cheers

VisualMan

Archived