Corsair Community

Help ASAP Please: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Memory Selection.

Ryo_Ohki2

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Dual Channel, Socket 939, nVidia nForce 3 Ultra chipset) w/ AMD 3500+ CPU. I'm having trouble selecting a compatible memory module. I plan to get 1GB, possible 2GB, of RAM. I have some questions that need answer ASAP since I just ordered everything (except memory) and need to get the memory to use it before the 15 day refund.

1. I read on this forum that it's better to use 2 modules for this mobo instead of 4 modules. Is this true?

2. What modules should I select assuming I'm getting 1GB of RAM?

(Please list what's best to worse, if it works, suggestion, etc so I can get a better idea what to buy, thanks)

TWINX1024-3200XL <== I'm looking at this one since I see a mail in rebate

TWINX1024-3200XLPRO

TWINX1024-3200XLPT

TWINX1024-3200LL

TWINX1024-3200C2

3. Is it worth it to get a TWINX2048-3200?? even though I know it has a larger latency, and what model should I get for my mobo if I decide to go this route?

Thanks for the help.

Oh ya.. I'm planning to use it for Gaming and Video Authoring

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I'd go with the TwinX1024-3200XL. If you go with 2 gb, you won't get the fast timings that the XL's provide.

I will have my MSI today, pairing it up with the XL's. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

That's what I was thinking of using. Have you heard anything about having 4 modules vs 2 modules? ie 2 sets of TWINX1024-3200XL in all 4 slots vs just 1 set.

Ugh.. so hard to choose.. I heard Crucial Ballistix are really good and so are Corsairs.

• Corsair Employee
There is more loading on the memory controller as you add more memory so the system will not over clock as well when it is fully loaded! With 4 modules you may be able to run with the timings at Cass 2-2-2-5 but it has been hit and miss! However, we only guarantee one set at the tested settings and you would need to enable 2T command rate in the bios with 4 modules, at worst you may have to relax the timings to Cass 2-3-3-7 to make the system stable!

Archived