Corsair Community

General help

scuzzo7

Ive noticed most problems here are identical to mine, so i'll just post the solution to most of your problems, its the dimm voltage. Hopefully this will kill most of the double postings here with the ram not working in all different brands and variations of boards, its not a miracle, the memory isnt conform to the standards that they're supposed to be conform to.

Increase your memory voltage stepwise to a max of 2.8 volts, however, do NOT try 2.8 volts at once, start around 2.65 and keep increasing a step until your computer is stable. I.E. my asus p4c800 deluxe doesnt work at all on 2.75 volts, so its running at 2.65, but my msi pt8 neo is unstable at anything below 2.7 and is running 'fine' at 2.75. My intel 865 gbf doesnt work at all with corsair memory since the voltage setting is locked, so its running on a sad 256 dane elec stick, unable to run the applications i require it to.

Corsair memory is great for when stability isnt an issue, i guess i should have checked the forums before buying, it didnt occur to me for some reason. Possibly the new revisions are better, but then again i'm known to be over-optimistic.

This post is mainly directed to ramguy, and anyone at corsair listening in. I've got a pretty huge amount of Corsair DDR ram and well i'm not pleased. I've got 7 512mb 400mhz sticks and 2 256mb 400mhz sticks, all valueselect, and i'm not too happy with memory i have to 'tune' to hope that my system doesnt crash.

I hope Corsair is kind enough to replace my memory with memory of equal performance (non oc, i dont care for oc) that just runs on my intel board, and my other boards without the requirements of tuning. Unline a lot of people, i dont see my computer as a car, i dont want to have to change belt timings in order for my car to run faster, but in that analogy, a car engine doesnt lock up because its tuned on factory defaults, corsair memory does.

• Corsair Employee

First thing; I am sorry you are having trouble, but the information you have posted is vague and hard to follow as to the extent of the problem or problems you may have! However, all of our DDR memory will be rated up to 2.9 Volts, so as along as you do not go over 2.9 Volts there should be no problem! In addition, typically if the system becomes unstable with a voltage change from default to 2.75 + Volts with nothing else being changed that would suggest either a voltage problem with the MB or possibly a power supply problem!

Since you have multiple systems, I would suggest we take the systems one at a time and please list the complete system specs with our part# of the module in that system and the bios settings you have set and a description of the problem you see and we will do our best to get them all 100% stable!

I think a general question to Ram Guy is in order here concerning JEDEC specs:

What does JEDEC say that the default voltage should be for DDR memory? What are the reasons why you may have to raise/lower the DDR voltage?

To answer part of my own question, I know that the reason you may have to increase the voltage is because some motherboards (sometimes a design issue, sometimes a manufacturing issue, sometimes just one of those random things) state that the DDR voltage is set to one thing when in reality when you test it independently (e.g. a volt meter), it is something different. This may just be the board displaying the wrong info to the BIOS screen, or one of the afforementioned reasons.

• Corsair Employee

Thanks wired, that is a good point!

And to clarify this a bit in general terms, JEDEC Spec for voltage is 2.6 +- .1 Volt for DDR400 and 2.5 +-.2 Volts for DDR333 and most MB's do not follow JEDEC Spec when setting the default voltage! They will normally follow the chipset reference or suggestions! However, many of the MB makers may not follow reference design and will then use or set the voltage according to their layout! In addition, as far as I know most of the MB makers will suggest you use the memory module makers suggested settings for Dim Voltage if you ask them!

All that being said, all of our modules are rated up to 2.9 Volts so as long as you do not go over 2.9 Volts and the module fails we will replace it..

Archived