Corsair Community

thinkpad r51 problem

golanus

I am trying to upgrade memory on an IBM Thinkpad R51. I bought a 512 200-sodimm made by corsair, VS512SDS333 PC2700. I tried to install it in both the suplementary memory, and instead of the main memory in the laptop, but the system doesn't want to recognize it, getting a blue screen with error message, saying something about possible ACPI incompatibility.

1. is this chip compatible with my laptop?

2. what do I need to do about it? is it just a matter of changing the BIOS, or something else?

TIA,

Cristian

• Corsair Employee

This module should be no problem with this notebook, but I would suggest you check for a bios update and update the NB and then test the module with http://www.memtest.org to make sure it's not some other issue!

If you do find the module is failing, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

The NB is a new model and the BIOS is from 5/04(checked in BIOS), so likely there is no new BIOS, but I'll double check.

Question is how do I run memtest for the memory chip, when the computer won't let me start windows, or is it run out side of XP? Sorry I am not that savvy, so if you have a little more dtailed info I would appreciate.

Thanks. Cristian

Archived