Corsair Community

new computer and confused about memory...

Hiya!

I've been upgrading and repairing computers for a couple years now and am building a new system with these specs:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo w/ 3.2c gghz P4 800 mhz FSB HT tech

Leadtek Geforce 6800 Ultra Video Card

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card

2 WD Raptor 76gb 10000 RPM SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration

Seagate 200gb IDE hard Drive(for important media)

Thermaletake skull series case and purepower 560W psu

I am thinking about overclocking the system to 3.6ghz, however, I have heard overclocking shortens the life of the mobo and cpu which is why I'm weary to do so. Also I am confused as to if a Slower latency/more memory(2 Gb with slower latency) or faster latency/less memory(1 Gb memory with a fast latency) is better. Last question is, is it possible to have 4 DDR550 modules of 512mb each in a P4C800-E deluxe motherboard of the XMS pro modules?

Really would appreciate any help I can get and thank you for you time.

Have a great day! :biggrin:

As long as you keep things cool, overclocking won't harm anything or shorten it's life IMO. Your rig will be plenty fast without it however and overclocking can be addicting so be warned! Tweaking will really get into your blood.

IMO using 2 gigs is over kill. Unless of course you are doing extensive movie editing and such. 1 gig of high quality, fast ram will do fine.

Ram guy will need to step in with regards to your other ram questions...no one knows more than he...

Good luck!

Archived