Corsair Community

Twinned Ram Purchase

NotUpToDate

I'm currently selecting which components I want in the new system i'm building. As the new board I have chosen supports twinned DDR2 Ram and according to what I have read there is some added performance to be had by doing this I'm prretty much sold on going with twinned over not twinned but my question is this:

If I decide to save some money by going with 2 512 twinned sticks as opposed to 2 1GB twinned sticks and at a later date upgrade to 2GB by adding another 2 512 twinned sticks will I lose out on performance when comparing the 2 1GB twinned sticks against the original pair of twinned 512 added to the new pair of twinned 512 seeing as how the old and new pairs aren't twinned to each other?

• Corsair Employees
I have not seen any indication there would be an issue with what you are planning: However, many of the MB's that are out now will not even post if all of the modules are not exactly matched! So I would not suggest mixing memory or getting some now and then buying more later, it would be best to buy the memory for how you plan to use the system for best compatibility and performance!

it would be best to buy the memory for how you plan to use the system for best compatibility and performance!

Thanks for the timely response. :) I sent Asus Tech support the same Q but haven't heard back from them. I realize you're trying to offer the most realible answer but how I plan to use the system is bound to change over the course of the next few years. If built in obselecence and manufacturing proprietary issues were what I was looking for I'd buy an OEM system and save myself the bother of building a better system.

• Corsair Employees

Let me put it this way, the point I was trying to make I will say a bit differently!

Memory technology is an ever changing industry and currently the production life on most computer related product’s is about 6 months! So bottom line, I understand what you are asking, but 6 months from now every thing may be different and my answer and or suggestions may change! And you may face what I mentioned, depending on your future plans! Or in other words the plan you have sounds great, but the industry as a whole may not go your way!

:cool:

Archived