Corsair Community

3 Gig memory in Asus A7n8xE Deluxe - what to use?

guitrldy

Hello!

I currently have two 512MB sticks of Corsair's TwinX CMX512-3200LL and I'm using the Asus A7n8x-E Deluxe motherboard.

I've been doing a lot of video processing and would like to max out the memory to the 3 gig this board supports.

My question: Does Corsair have the memory I need (three 1024MB sticks)? If so, please point the way!

Thanks!

Lisa W.

PS. Any reason I shouldn't do 3 gig on this board?

So, what does LL buy me that should convince me to stay with what I've got?

What kind of risk do I run using 3 sticks of the CMX1024-3200PRO XMS3200 1024MB with the 3-3-3-8 timings (and can I even use them with my Asus A7n8xE Dx board)?

The writeup for this RAM says "This memory has been verified to operate at DDR400 (200 MHz at 3-4-4-8)". Why the different timings?

(Writeup also says it's been tested on an A7N8x board. This is good, right?)

Thanks for the help!

Lisa W.

• Corsair Employee

XMS3200LL would be rated at Cass 2-3-2-6 at DDR400 about 3-8% faster than XMS3200 rated at Cass 3-3-3-8 at DDR400, the one web post is not correct! I will ask our webmaster to take a look at that again!

In addition, Twinx2048-3200 will run great in that MB, but for best performance or if you over clock I would suggest you use 1 set of Twinx1024-3200XL as long as you have A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 you should be fine!

Using more than 2.0 Gig of memory may or may not help you depending on the O.S. and the specific applications you use, but normally I would not suggest more than 1.0 Gig of memory for 99% of the users, depending on the application and O.S. you use!

I am also using the CMX1024-3200PRO sticks in a A7N8X-E Deluxe.

I am currently running them as 2 x CMX1024-3200PRO in Dual Channel Mode @ 200Mhz with timings of 8-3-3 CAS 2.5 with 2.7 Volts.

I believe the specifications are 8-3-3 CAS 3, but I was confused as to what volatage that was with (2.6?). Is 8-3-3-3 the best stable timings I will probably get with these, or if I up the voltage, can I expect to be able to get either higher clock speeds or better timings?

Also, I may have a Rev 1 board, is this a problem? (This is an E-Deluxe though)

Thanks for your assistance and expertise,

Craig

Supa-fast

• Corsair Employee
The timings for these modules would be Cass 3-3-3-8 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts (2.8 Volts if you plan on over clocking)! And you might be able too over clock, but there is no way to know exactly how high you might get!

...Twinx2048-3200 will run great in that MB, but for best performance or if you over clock I would suggest you use 1 set of Twinx1024-3200XL as long as you have A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 you should be fine!

Using more than 2.0 Gig of memory may or may not help you depending on the O.S. and the specific applications you use, but normally I would not suggest more than 1.0 Gig of memory for 99% of the users, depending on the application and O.S. you use!

RAM GUY...

I don't plan on over-clocking and I'm using WinXP Pro. The apps that are memory hogs for me now are Adobe's Premiere Pro and After Effects. Games are good with what I have now (TwinX CMX512-3200LL), but I think I could really benefit with more memory for those video editing apps.

I'm not sure if I have a rev 2.0 board tho. How do I determine that?

Thanks for all your info!

Lisa W.

• Corsair Employee
Please look on the MB where the model # is printed and you will see the Rev 1.0X or Rev 2.0! However, even with a Rev 1.0X you should not have any issues with the memory, that was ment for the CPU you had asked about!

Hello!

I currently have two 512MB sticks of Corsair's TwinX CMX512-3200LL and I'm using the Asus A7n8x-E Deluxe motherboard.

I've been doing a lot of video processing and would like to max out the memory to the 3 gig this board supports.

You got this board stable with Corsair 2x512 LL??? I would love to know your settings and your Bios number. There are a lot of people (incl me :mad: )who get regular crashes with this combo.

I tried the Ram Guy suggestions, but they didn't work. Please post your settings.

Tks.

Archived