Corsair Community

Bad RAM or ???

newera

Hello I have a question for RAM GUY.

My system specs before new RAM:

MoBo = GiGabyte P4 titan 6678PE667 ultra2

gfx card = Nvidia Fx 5950 ultra

cpu: intel 1.8ghz northwood overclocked to 2.25 (18x125)

Ram = corsair ddr2700 xms 512mb ram (the gaming ram)

OS = WinXP pro

This ran great, so I figured I would buy one more stick of ram. I bought the same ram, but the platinum series. With some switching of the ram slots, I finally got to load up windows( before it would hit blue screen and reboot and ask to load windows in safe mode). But when I got it running my system ran sluggish, and most of my applications would crash. So than I tested the new RAM module alone, I was getting the same rebooting error. Finally I took my old stick in, and it worked fine.

I researched on this forum about the Gigabyte mb's having to up your voltage to the DIMM module in the bios, so I up it up +0.1v and the AGP and the CPU core, all getting the same error at windows load an alert box would apear at log in screen: "System recovered old log" and it would not load into windows forcing me to reboot manually.

Sorry for the long writing, just wanted to give you an idea of what all i tried. Any help, suggestions would be awesome.

• Corsair Employee

This MB is not dual channel and you may not be able to over clock the system as you add more memory! Sorry, but that is a limitation of the chipset!

In addition, you may have to match the modules both in part# and revision to make them stable, but I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the memory Frequency at 1-1 and set the Dim Voltage to +.2 volts and they should be in slots 1-3 if you have 3 slots!

so if I lower my clock speed, wont that drop my freq from 333 to 266 on my ram?

also: up'n this the voltage to .2 will that harm the module? And if I get these to work, will it be faster than my system before?

thanks for quick reply!

• Corsair Employee

You will just have to test the system, but with a 400FSB CPU the fastest you should set the memory is DDR266! If you have been running the memory at DDR333 with the settings you had posted you are over clocking the memory as well and you may not be able to Over clock to the extent you had before! That has nothing to do with the memory!

All of our DDR modules are rated up to 2.9 Volts so you should not have any problems with the Voltage

Ok my new cpu finally arrived, now I have an Intel pent 4 3.06 at 133x18, with the ram modules in slot one, and three. I have dimm volt +0.2, and the cpu & dimm ratio to 2.5. I do not know where else to set the cass 2.5-3-3-7, I have had some stability issues so far, a program crashed and none of my sound works. So any help would be great!

ps: due to my testing of the single new stick of ram, and the results of not booting through windows, does this mean it may be a bad stick?

Archived