Corsair Community

SATA Cables

GeneralEclectic

Corsair Folks: Experience tells me that you guys are completely right about quality and lack-of-quality in SATA cables. I'm sure I'm not alone in having a collection of dozens and dozens of cables of dubious parentage and capabilities. Not only that, but in 95% of the applications, the standard cable shipped with motherboards etc. is too stiff and too long at 18", making installation difficult, sloppy-looking, and prone to problems. Those problems include (as you well know) misbehaving with your SSDs and slipping out of too-loose motherboard sockets (that one has driven me close to the edge more than once).

I've gone shopping for SATA cables frequently and have come away pretty annoyed and frustrated by the lack of performance information. Suppliers seem a lot more concerned about pretty colors than about making a secure connection and transmitting GHz frequencies with good fidelity. You can pay an outrageous amount for cables, but have absolutely no idea what you're really getting. Except, maybe, that it's pink or purple or something.

So. I have a suggestion for you. How about you guys qualify a line of quality SATA cables and sell them in, say, 12-packs. They should come in lengths of 6", 8", 10", 12", and 18". I think a lot of people here would be eager to buy known-good cables from a reputable supplier. And I think you'd be very smart to include a known-good Corsair-Branded cable with every drive. I'd be willing to bet that, in the long run, it would save you money on unnecessary returns that are due to crappy cables.

Corsair Folks: Experience tells me that you guys are completely right about quality and lack-of-quality in SATA cables. I'm sure I'm not alone in having a collection of dozens and dozens of cables of dubious parentage and capabilities. Not only that, but in 95% of the applications, the standard cable shipped with motherboards etc. is too stiff and too long at 18", making installation difficult, sloppy-looking, and prone to problems. Those problems include (as you well know) misbehaving with your SSDs and slipping out of too-loose motherboard sockets (that one has driven me close to the edge more than once).

I've gone shopping for SATA cables frequently and have come away pretty annoyed and frustrated by the lack of performance information. Suppliers seem a lot more concerned about pretty colors than about making a secure connection and transmitting GHz frequencies with good fidelity. You can pay an outrageous amount for cables, but have absolutely no idea what you're really getting. Except, maybe, that it's pink or purple or something.

So. I have a suggestion for you. How about you guys qualify a line of quality SATA cables and sell them in, say, 12-packs. They should come in lengths of 6", 8", 10", 12", and 18". I think a lot of people here would be eager to buy known-good cables from a reputable supplier. And I think you'd be very smart to include a known-good Corsair-Branded cable with every drive. I'd be willing to bet that, in the long run, it would save you money on unnecessary returns that are due to crappy cables.

I want to second this suggestion. Price them so you make a decent profit but not some ridiculous amount.

• Corsair Employees
We have actually considered this as like you have found the cables that come bundled with MB's can be well let's just say disappointing; with out being to crass about the subject but we did not release anything to my knowledge. I will pass this request on to the Product managers but I can make any promises. :roll:

Archived