Corsair Community

HX650W 5-pin modular PSU connectors

Bambleweeny57

I just purchased a used HX650W from Amazon Marketplace and 5 of the 7 supplied SATA/MOLEX cables were for different Corsair PSU's.

Only two had the straight 5 pin PSU connector required. The others had versions of the 6 pin PCI-e "like" connector.

As the 6 pin PCI-E outputs on the HX650W only supply 12v and were not supposed to connect to the Molex and SATA cables,

as these do, these cables provide either no function, partial function or worst, WRONG VOLTAGES to the SATA connectors!!!

So my question is this,...

does anybody know the part number (or a supplier) of the straight 5-pin plugs used on these modular PSU's?

I'm an Engineer an can rebuild the incorrect ones I have,... IF I CAN FIND THE 5 PIN PLUG!

Any input much appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

Well There is not a lot we can do about Ebay except suggest that you only purchase from an authorized reseller and EBAY is NOT Authorized.

However many of the cables can be purchased from our web store under PSU Parts

HX Series SATA peripheral cable with 3 connectors compatible with HX450, HX520, HX620 and HX650.

HX Series PCI-E peripheral cable with 2 connectors compatible with HX450, HX520, HX620 and HX650.

HX Series Molex peripheral cable with 4 connectors compatible with HX450, HX520, HX620 and HX650

Well There is not a lot we can do about Ebay except suggest that you only purchase from an authorized reseller and EBAY is NOT Authorized.

I know, I was just adding my experience as a warning of the dangers of buying used,....

especially seeing as the wrong cables could actually damage your equipment.

I must say however,...

Corsair's choice (for some of their product line) to use PCI-E plugs on the PSU end for distributing not only 12v

BUT 5v AND 3.3v to SATA and MOLEX cables is a very very stupid decision.

Users with multiple Corsair PSU's could EASILY MIX the cables up and end up sending 12v to a 3.3v SATA device,

or 0v to a 5v SATA or Molex device.

PCI-E Connectors should only be used to send 12v.

Using the physical PCI-E connector to distribute anything else is very very bad planning on corsair's part.

At the very least, they should have used the PCI-E cables with different "Indexing" (i.e. the arrangement of the Square/rounded pins on the connector) for the SATA/MOLEX cables, like 2 of mine.

THESE CANNOT BE PLUGGED INTO A HX650W PCI-E socket and so cannot end up getting 12v/0v going down the SATA3.3v/MOLEX5v lines.

Unfortunatley, they didn't plan their range very well and now we have SATA and MOLEX cables with both types of PCI-E plugs.

JMO!

BUT THANKS FOR THE LINKS RAM GUY!!!

Would you be able to confirm that those three cables you linked to actually have the straight 5-pin PSU connector?

The pictures do not show that end,... and I clearly know for sure that Corsair makes SATA/MOLEX cables terminated with the PCI-E Express plug!

Would you be able to confirm that those three cables you linked to actually have the straight 5-pin PSU connector?

The pictures do not show that end,... and I clearly know for sure that Corsair makes SATA/MOLEX cables terminated with the PCI-E Express plug!

I only ask because the following Corsair link for "HX Series" connectors, specifically "compatible with the HX650"

clearly show SATA and MOLEX connectors terminated with 6 pin PCIe "like" plugs.

That's the very kind of problem I have right now!

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories/professional-series-enthusiast-series-txm-series-individually-sleeved-modular-cables-black.html

Basically, I need SATA & MOLEX (Peripheral, IDE,..???) connectors with the straight 5 pin PSU plug,

cables specifically for the "HX650W", NOT the "HX Series" and NOT the "HX650"

because those clearly are not compatible with the HX650W

Oh, and I DO appreciate your help RAM GUY, sorry if the above sounds a bit terse!

What PSU do you have and what cables do you specifically need and I will get you the right link for your PSU.

Sorry for the delay RAM GUY!

Life, in the form of my ongoing PC disaster, ganged up on me.

I have a "HX650W Professional Series" (according to the case)

The Box says P/N: CMPSU-650HX A

(There is a sticker on the PSU but it's obscured in my case at the moment and I'm loth to disassemble it right now!)

I basically need SATAx3 and 4 Pin MOLEXx4 cable that definitely have the straight 5-pin proprietary termination at the PSU end

I can confirm the items in the links Ram Guy posted have the 5 pin connector mate, ordered mine Wednesday and they arrived today.

Archived