Corsair Community

Bad crimping on AX650 cables

SwimSquirrel

I have begun sleeving my AX650 with MDPC sleeve and have run into a serious problem when removing the wires from their connectors. I have been using an original Molex ATX pin remover and, upon removing the pins from the 8 pin CPU power connector, some of the wires just pulled out with very little force applied. This means there are 5 pins still stuck in my 8 pin connector (and one in one of my 6 pin PCIe's). I looked at the pins and it is clear that the crimping was done badly from the factory; the "wings" that are supposed to bite down into the wire's insulation were just wrapped around. Does anybody know how I could go about removing these pins? I have the MDPC crimper so I can re-crimp them, but if I can't get the pins out I will have to get a replacement cable for my CPU. :(:

• Corsair Employees
Please submit an RMA using the link on the left and explain the issue in the description and I will get you a new set of cables as I want to see these cables to take up with our Q/C department. Please post the case number once you have completed the case.

(sorry for the late reply)

That's great of you to help! Will I have to send in all of the cables or just the 8 pin? I got a replacement connector for the 6 pin (the gpu side) so that is no longer an issue, but I cannot replace the power supply end of the 8 pin connector obviously. I ask because I already started sleeving and shortening the PCIe and ATX connectors and having to send those (non defectives) in could be an issue.

Also of note are pins 4 and 7 which I attempted to remove after the wires pulled out and ruined a bit in the process... :!oops: The rest are in original condition.

EDIT: RMA requested, case number 5084132.

Archived