Corsair Community

RAM or config issue?

Blodo

I bought a new set of parts recently, with of course a set of Corsair RAM. Specifically I got a Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb set (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) to mount on an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 mobo. Now this is only about a month old config, but I've been having worsening stability problems since.

I noticed when I first put the parts together that the mobo set the RAM timing to 1600mhz by default, so I set that to the 1866mhz these sticks should support. The timings are 9/10/9/27 and the voltage is 1.5V as recommended. And yet when I run Prime95 it encounters an error usually in the first 2 minutes on at least 1 of the threads when running in Blend mode. All my temps are below 50 degrees celsius under load so it's not (or shouldn't be) an overheating issue.

I've tried this a bunch of times today and haven't had a single P95 run of 4 tests finish without at least 1 of the worker threads failing. Should I file an RMA for this or are there any other steps I can/should take?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have a Core i5 3550 3.30ghz processor installed on that machine also, now that I've paid more attention to CPU-Z it seems that the core clock automatically changes up to 3.5ghz under load, likely the turbo setting. Could it be that?

I have a Core i5 3550 3.30ghz processor installed on that machine also, now that I've paid more attention to CPU-Z it seems that the core clock automatically changes up to 3.5ghz under load, likely the turbo setting. Could it be that?

Yes, this is speed step kicking i when under load.

Did a memtest today and it showed no errors. I now think my stability problems are occurring because of either the speedstep overclock or ATI drivers. Funnily enough I ran 2 passes Prime95 today with no problems... might have been some weird hiccup. Either way, this doesn't seem like a RAM issue to me now so I'll take it to another forum. Thanks for the responses.

Archived