Corsair Community

GA-965P-DS3: Mem Up from 4 to 8 GB boot problem

jerome_42

Hi all.

I am running a Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 Motherboard.

Up until now, I had four Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 G running. I decided to upgrade now to 8 GB.

For this I purchased two sets of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 with four banks of CM2X2048-6400C5 C.

Removing the four 1GB-banks and assembling the four 2GB-banks into the motherboard leads to a situation, where the computer doesn't boot anymore (when I powered on my PC I got one long BIOS beep and the computer restarted over and over again..)

Following one post in this forum I adjusted the DDR2 Overvoltage Control in the BIOS to plus 0.3V. With this setting, I am able to get 3 banks of 2 GB CM2X2048-6400C5 C to run (which is not possible to do with the "Normal"-setting of the DDR2 Overvoltage Control) to a full memory size of 6GB.

System Memory Multiplier is set to "Auto", an effort to set it to "2" (667 MHz, proposed elsewhere in this forum) led to a complete fail of the booting (solved by unpowering the machine for 10 min)

Nevertheless, how can I get the full 8GB memory up and running? Just rising the memory voltage seems to be too risky for me.

Can you help me on this?`

Regards,

Jery

combining 2 or more sets of ram is not suggested supported or recommended for the issue you are experiencing. you can try to pull the battery for 10 minutes to completely reset the bios and see if it helps however there is no guarantee to make 2 sets of ram work for you.

good luck.

Hi Synthohol, all.

Thank you for your post.

I unmounted the Motherboard battery for more than ten minutes, plugged the four DIMMs, reinstalled the battery, repowered the system. Same result, the system ends up in a repeatedly boot/failure loop.

Nevertheless, before I bought the memory set, I checked the compatibility checker "http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/". There was no indication, that two sets of this memory are non recommended or non functional. I just got the information:

"Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

XMS2 — 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Kit (TWIN2X4096-6400C5)"

So, what is this for? And what are the options? Any BIOS entry to check? Running with only 6 GB is rather dissatisfying... :[pouts:

Jery

• Corsair Employees

The memory finder did give you the correct results but it is giving suggestions per kit, not kits to mix together.

Have you confirmed every module to work by testing it one at a time? Minus the potential compatibility issues between modules, it could also be too much for your memory controller since you're filling all the DIMMs at the maximum supported speed of 800mhz. Finally, are you using the latest BIOS?

Hi there.

Ok, I went from F10 to the F14 Bios version, which is the latest BIOS version from Gigabyte for the GA-965P-DS3.

It brought me a slight improvement as now I can run three of the four DIMMs without raising the DDR2 Overvoltage Control in the BIOS to plus 0.3V. Nevertheless, the machine still fails to boot with the four Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 installed:

* I tested the DIMMs in turn, they are all operating

* I raised the DDR2 Overvoltage Control in the BIOS to plus 0.3V with four DIMMs ounted.

Same result: with three DIMMs mounted, the machine booted. With four DIMMs, it fails.

Reducing the maximum supported speed of 800 MHz... which value would you recommend? Are there any further options I can check?

Thank you!

Archived