Corsair Community

Asus Rampage IV Extreme and CMD16GX3M4A2400C9

ftimster

What's the deal some help would be great?? Installed the memory {cmd16gx3m4a2400c9) set xmp and no boot :( really love the look have been running dominator gt 2133c9 1.5v for ever never a problem. One thing I I noticed was that in cpuz the 2400 platnum xmp profile showed up as 2285 not 2400? that was somewhat odd so ultimately I set the xmp profile then went back and set the mem speed to 2133 and copied the Cas timings of my Dominator GT 2133 1.5v memory 9-11-10-27 but at 1.65 and seemed to run stable. I guess what I'm getting too is someone have a recipe for running this 2400 memory at 2133 with good tight timings something that I can at least feel like I'm getting more performance I do understand this sounds somewhat odd but I do love the look of the memory. Can this premium memory run at much tighter timings than the gt 2133 at 1.5v and what is the difference in voltages between 2133 at 1.5v (the dominator gt) and 2133 at 1.6 like the platinum. I would love to just get my dominator platinum running smooth at 2133 9-11-10-27 but is the 1.65v messing with anything??? And finely when the platinum was installed running at 2133 9-11-10-27 cpuz showing the memory MHz (1066) seemed to jump up and down ever so slightly say 1052 then up to 1074 but for the most part 1066=2133 is that normal? Thanks ram guy and what about qpi-dram volts???do I need to up for 2400? Again thanks

Hoping ram guy will help get us x79 rive high performance users up to speed with this new memory qpi-dram frequencies and all that good stuff. Maybe a platinum quad kit for our systems I currently have a 4×4 kit cmd16gx3m4a2400c9 would be stoked with 2133 is that possible at 1.5v my 2400c9 is 1.65 thanks AGAIN :-) :-)

Try them at 2133mhz with the 2400mhz timings and 1.5v and maybe 1.55v if you need to.

2400mhxz is a HUGE overclock for a processor that only supports 1600mhz natively.

My guess is your processor just wont overclock to 2400mhz.

Can this premium memory run at much tighter timings than the gt 2133 at 1.5v and what is the difference in voltages between 2133 at 1.5v (the dominator gt) and 2133 at 1.6 like the platinum. I
You can try anything you like, but Corsair can suggest nothing but what is printed on the label. when it comes to timings. But when you start talking frequencies, they will still be HIGHLY cpu dependent.

And finely when the platinum was installed running at 2133 9-11-10-27 cpuz showing the memory MHz (1066) seemed to jump up and down ever so slightly say 1052 then up to 1074 but for the most part 1066=2133 is that normal?

Do you have speedstep enabled?

• Corsair Employees
Hoping ram guy will help get us x79 rive high performance users up to speed with this new memory qpi-dram frequencies and all that good stuff. Maybe a platinum quad kit for our systems I currently have a 4×4 kit cmd16gx3m4a2400c9 would be stoked with 2133 is that possible at 1.5v my 2400c9 is 1.65 thanks AGAIN :-) :-)

I would agree with Peanutz that from what you describe, 2400mhz would not be possible for your machine and if your current settings at 1.65v are stable @ 2133mhz, I would just double check and make sure all the CPU throttling issues are off if you want to do any custom timings.

There are quad kits available already (32GB kits are available) and there will be a 64GB kit eventually.

Thanks for all the info I appreciate the quick response to my questions what I have decided after all this is to just go with platinum 4×4gb 2133 c9 1.5v still going to get all the speed and added looks memory should be here Friday this way I keep my current setup of 4.5 all cores 4.8 turbo Mode keeping it all plug and play. I'm happy so just wondering new i7 3970x around the corner at 150 watt and rumor of a Ivy Bridge-e for x79 socket 2011 wondering or speculating maybe then we can run this faster memory?? I would like to know what you guys think in particular ram guy thanks again tim in Alaska where the air is nice and cold :-)

if you want to do OC on the CPU

Then i buy the 2400MHz kit

As set at 2133MHz + the OC ove CPU you will reach arond 2300MHz And the 2133MHz kit is test at 2133MHz no garanty it will go faster.

If you want to extrem OC, just buy the best ram you will get bether chance to run 2400MHz kit at 2133MHz and then OC CPU with out go over 2400MHz on memory.

Sincerly yours

He's already running a 4.5ghz OC.

I have decided after all this is to just go with platinum 4×4gb 2133 c9 1.5v still going to get all the speed and added looks memory should be here Friday this way I keep my current setup of 4.5 all cores 4.8 turbo Mode keeping it all plug and play.

As to whether or not the new chips will run 2400mhz, memory , i really cant say. They still don't support anything over 1600mhz memory so the odds would be the same .

You just need to keep in mind that as a general rule of thumb, the higher you go in CPU speeds, the lower the memory speed. And vice versa.

So I don't get it if a ivy-bridge-e for x79 won't support it why even make memory that fast your telling me that ivy bridge can't run it at 2400 2666 3000 I was under the impression this memory was made for ivy bridge and backward compatible to x79 I get it not running at 2400 or faster on sandy but........why make it then for a lite bar......

So I don't get it if a ivy-bridge-e for x79 won't support it why even make memory that fast

Memory that fast is made for enthusiast and extreme overclockers. People who crank up voltages to get them to run a 30 second bench mark.

your telling me that ivy bridge can't run it at 2400 2666 3000

Correct! SOME IVB-E might get to 2400mhz , but i have not seen one of then run any faster memory out of the box. Yes, they are made for IVB systems but then again , more or less for enthusiasts who use liquid nitrogen, helium and other extreme cooling methods for bench marks. on an x79 platform as well as z77 platform. They would also run in an x58 platform too. And AMD systems.

Not every one looking for memory is a gamer or wants 24/7 stability . Right now there is no CPU that supports over 1600mhz memory. With the XMP profile some people are getting 2133mhz and a rare 2400mhz to run stable. But that would be with out a CPU overclcock and just a memory overclock. The rest...i already explained before :)

Im sure the really high rated modules are a small hint to what is coming in the future.

As long as there have been an overclocking community, there has been modules rated at crazy high speeds to accommodate them.

Do a search on over clocking world records, or extreme overclocking with LN2 and you will then see why these are made.

• 3 weeks later...
Correct! SOME IVB-E might get to 2400mhz , but i have not seen one of then run any faster memory out of the box. Yes, they are made for IVB systems but then again , more or less for enthusiasts who use liquid nitrogen, helium and other extreme cooling methods for bench marks. on an x79 platform as well as z77 platform. They would also run in an x58 platform too. And AMD systems.

I use the 2400mhz Dominator Platinum kit on a RIVE. I installed it, selected XMP and booted up. It ran straight out the box.

I then had a bit of help from a guy on another forum to fine tune the modules. The settings below are what I use 100% stable right up to 4.9ghz on the CPU and sometimes even 5.0ghz but thats a bit dodgy.

http://imageshack.us/a/img341/408/fnmzb.jpg

My point is 2400mhz memory on X79 is not that rare.

My point is 2400mhz memory on X79 is not that rare.

No, it's not THAT rare. But the majority of them do struggle with memory above 2133mhz. We see it here on a daily basis. with the occasional "hey my 2400mhz modules boot beautifully out of the box":p:

You wouldn't believe the amount of new or first time PC builders that get ticked when they buy really high speed memory because they see the MB supports it but do not understand the CPU plays a HUGE roll in those speeds.

And there's always the "my rigs identical to his, how's come he can run this configuration and i can't" With NO clue of how their hardware actually works. There is no real problem with that , everybody has their first system, but you should really understand what you are doing before just diving in!

And when they cant reach those speeds because of hardware limitations the first thing they want to do is blame the memory.

Thinking about it you may have a good point, the other forum I use the majority of people do not have a problem with running at 2400mhz. When they do get a problem thinking about it this is probably one of the first places they come to. So yes its natural to assume its the manufacturer of the memory rather than the fact it could be the IMC or the Mobo or even an operator mistake.

On a side note the Dominator Platinum is very good memory, I hope the i7 3970X and IB-E after that has a better IMC so we can see how high the modules can go.

• 3 weeks later...
And when they cant reach those speeds because of hardware limitations the first thing they want to do is blame the memory.

Or the mainboard manufacturer. lol

We can always 'hope' the 3970X has a stronger IMC & is more than hit or miss with PCI-E 3.0, but I wouldn't bet 1k USD on it! It will be Q3 2013 before the general public gets their hands on a retail IB-E. As for the Dom. Plat's. running 2400 stable for 24/7, it boils down to primarily the CPU IMC. I have one X79 CPU that will and one that won't.

Archived