Corsair Community

H60 w/ 7v Adapter?

Synomenon

I've had the same buzzing pump problem with multiple H60s. Last night, I tried connecting a H60 to a 12V to 7V adapter and the buzzing went away.

Is there any downside to running the pump at 7V instead of 12V? Will I damage it by using this 7V adapter?

The CPU in use is an Intel i7-3770T (45W TDP).

Are you sure I'd get a "good" unit? I've seen posts on these forums of people getting units from RMA (following the directions here) that still made the same noise and worse.

Are there any CoolIt or Corsair engineers that can verify that not giving the pump the full 12v will damage it? That just seems counter-intuitive.

Everytime I've lowered the amount of power to a piece of technology, it has always lasted longer.

I wonder how many times I'd have to RMA to get a good one. Right now, RMA-ing sounds just as much a crapshoot as going to the store and buying one. I'd rather do it through the store since it's so close and I can exchange as many times as I want in one day.

With RMAs, do I have to pay for shipping? How long does it take to get a replacement? The replacement is refurbished or new?

Just want an idea of how long I'd have to wait each time I have to RMA in the case that the replacement I receive is just as bad or worse as the one I send in.

You pay for shipping for the faulty unit back top Corsair, Corsair pays for the replacement to be sent to you.If you are in need of a CPU cooler, You can request an advance RMA via phone. If not, It depends on the shipping and when they receive it. The replacement unit will be a new one.

If your replacement unit is DOA or faulty, Contact customer service or reply back to your case# and tell them it is faulty.

Yes it has had some bad press but the actual amount of faulty units is quite small compared to the amount sold.

Most users don't have any issues at all. The ones that were faulty were due to some power supplies that put out more than 12v . which is above what the pump was designed for and the reason some users had the same problem with multiple units. They were connected to the same PSU's. Not that that was the case in all circumstances but the majority of them. This is also why lowering the voltage a tiny bit makes the noise go away.

With RMAs, do I have to pay for shipping? How long does it take to get a replacement? The replacement is refurbished or new?

You would receive a brand new one, and yes, you would be responsible for the shipping costs to them, they will pay to ship it back.

In the case you would need a second RMA, Corsair would cover shipping both ways.

Time frames depend on where you live.

If you are in the continental US usually about 7-10 business days. If you are outside the US or across seas you can safely add a few days to a week to that time.

Is there any downside to running the pump at 7V instead of 12V? Will I damage it by using this 7V adapter?

Yes, you could damage the pump. If you are going to lower the voltage go no lower than 11.5v and you should be fine. That should also be enough to make the noise go away.

Additionally running them at 7v will void the warranty because you are running them outside of the designed specs and the damage to the pump would be caused by the user and is not covered.

This warranty does not cover problems or damage resulting from, but not limited to, any of the following:

Wear and tear associated with normal use

Any modification, abuse, accident, disassembly, misapplication, or unauthorized repair

Removal of any manufacturer label(s) or sticker(s)

Any improper operation, including any use not in accordance with any supplied product instructions

Connection to any improper voltage supply

Use of consumables, such as replacement batteries, not supplied by Corsair, except where such restriction is prohibited by applicable local law

Any other cause which does not relate to a product defect in materials or workmanship

.Just to add a little more to that, decreasing the voltage that much decreases the pumps rpms and would severely diminish the flow rate of the coolant inside, resulting in higher than normal temps.

I've gone through three H60s. All had the grinding pump noise. Additionally, I was using them with these PSUs:

Corsair AX1200i

Corsair TX750m

Silverstone ST45SF-G

The grinding noise happened with all three PSUs.

If lowering the voltage gets rid of the noise, Corsair needs to source parts that can handle the extra heat from a unit running at a lower voltage.

RamGuy has stated many times that lowering the voltage a tiny amount is fine, but 7v is way too low. The pump was just not designed for that.

11.5 should be the absolute lowest you would want to go with that and still keep the pump at an acceptable RPM.

All water cooling pumps are designed to be run at a constant RPM with the exception of one that I am aware of that is a PWM design made by another maufacturer.

• Corsair Employees
I have a 12v to 10v adapter. I'll try that out for a day and see what temps. are like and if the pump still grinds.

Lowest voltage I'd run the pump is 11.4v, anything lower than that may damage the pump, they are not designed to run on that value.

At this point, if you are still getting the noise pump issue, I strong suggest that you contact our customer service and request for us to test the unit first before sending it out to you.

Archived