Corsair Community

New Hydrocool mod involving Peltier.

JNelson

After reading the idea about mounting a peltier on the back of the Hydrocool unit next to the reservoir, me and my dad decided to try out a similar mod involving a peltier. Instead of having the peltier cool the liquid before the HX, he built and hooked up a rig that would cool the liquid on the outlet tube before it reaches the water block but after it makes it rounds through the Hydrocool. The results aren't that spectacular for all the time and energy he put it into it but he likes to build and mess around with stuff like this now that he's retired so it was kind of a fun project for him. Using Digidoc for reference, the peltier unit is keeping the CPU temperature about 3 to 4 degrees cooler than with just the Hydrocool alone. Here's what it looks like. [img]http://home.comcast.net/~jessetnelson/peltier-cooling.jpg[/img]

It took my dad about a week to make...most of the time was spent fabbing up a way for it to draw power from the computer's power supply since the peltier draws a hefty 4 amps. It basically consists of the cold side of the peltier being affixed to a brass channel with barbed fittings which the liquid goes through and a H/F combo being affixed to the hot side.

The flow rate through the small diameter outlet tubing is pretty high. Could it be the coolant doesn't have enough dwell time to chill? I haven't gotten around to putting the Peltier on the coolant tank itself, but that might work better. Maybe your Dad has more time :):. If you install it inside the case facing the innards, there may be a problem fitting a cooling block/fan on the Pelt. Only other way is to cut away the backside wall of the frame to gain access to the back side of the tank.

[quote name='Clevor']The flow rate through the small diameter outlet tubing is pretty high. Could it be the coolant doesn't have enough dwell time to chill? I haven't gotten around to putting the Peltier on the coolant tank itself, but that might work better. Maybe your Dad has more time :):. If you install it inside the case facing the innards, there may be a problem fitting a cooling block/fan on the Pelt. Only other way is to cut away the backside wall of the frame to gain access to the back side of the tank.[/QUOTE] you do that an the hold down strap will interfear, need to use some machining filler (loctite clover)to get a flat surface so can mount peltier an have fan out back if you want to know the thickness is 1/4"/6mm back of tank,sides,top and the bottom is 1/8"/3mm of anodized alum.

[quote name='Clevor']The flow rate through the small diameter outlet tubing is pretty high. Could it be the coolant doesn't have enough dwell time to chill? I haven't gotten around to putting the Peltier on the coolant tank itself, but that might work better. Maybe your Dad has more time :):. If you install it inside the case facing the innards, there may be a problem fitting a cooling block/fan on the Pelt. Only other way is to cut away the backside wall of the frame to gain access to the back side of the tank.[/QUOTE] If you mount it on the tank then the HX will bring the temps back up to ambient so it makes more sense to cool it down after it's gone through the core.

[quote name='JNelson']If you mount it on the tank then the HX will bring the temps back up to ambient so it makes more sense to cool it down after it's gone through the core.[/QUOTE] You're right, I realized this on another post where the flow pattern of the HC200 was mentioned, but forgot. I thought about reversing the pump, but you'd be pressuring the tank. I mentioned on an earlier post about using another microchannel cooling block inline after the radiator, with a Pelt on it, but I don't have the balls to try it. It may freeze the coolant so you get zero flow :eek:.

[quote name='Clevor']I mentioned on an earlier post about using another microchannel cooling block inline after the radiator, with a Pelt on it, but I don't have the balls to try it. It may freeze the coolant so you get zero flow :eek:.[/QUOTE] not really for if using the proper mix green stuff mixed@33%, that won't freeze until -25c

[quote name='KaptCrunch']not really for if using the proper mix green stuff mixed@33%, that won't freeze until -25c[/QUOTE] Hey JNelson, you should get a spare microchannel block. You already got the tubing cut and Peltier. Just replace the brass block. For sure it should cool better than the plain brass block, as you're talking a copper microchannel, but hard to say by how much.

Archived