Corsair Community

Upgrading the H100 Fans

BiG StroOnZ

Looking into upgrading my stock H100 fans and was wondering if I could use these (Scythe ULTRA KAZE 133CFM) fans with the Corsair Fan controller.

I have been asking around on other forums and it seems that some people can't get aftermarket fans to work with the controller. Is it almost a guarantee that if I get them they wont work with the H100 Fan Controller?

Thanks

Looking into upgrading my stock H100 fans and was wondering if I could use these (Scythe ULTRA KAZE 133CFM) fans with the Corsair Fan controller.

I have been asking around on other forums and it seems that some people can't get aftermarket fans to work with the controller. Is it almost a guarantee that if I get them they wont work with the H100 Fan Controller?

Thanks

theres no guaranty they will work but you mention upgrading and there is no fan better in performance than the stock fans.

i use T.B. SILENCE 120MM TWISTER FAN for my case fans that cl controls but not enough static pressure for coolers

theres no guaranty they will work but you mention upgrading and there is no fan better in performance than the stock fans.

i use T.B. SILENCE 120MM TWISTER FAN for my case fans that cl controls but not enough static pressure for coolers

The stock fans only move 90 cfm together?

This will be two 133 cfm fans, how is that not better than stock? :bigeyes:

• Corsair Employees
The stock fans only move 90 cfm together?

This will be two 133 cfm fans, how is that not better than stock?

Static pressure is the spec of the fan where it tells you how much air the fan can push through a restricted area, like a radiator. The higher the static pressure is the better when the fan mounted on a radiator.

It's static pressure that matters here, not airflow. I haven't seen a fan anywhere that can come close to the H100 stock fans' maximum static pressure of 7.7mm/H2O.

So there is not one aftermarket fan out there that has a higher maximum static pressure of 7.7mm/H2O? That seems hard to believe.

Static pressure is the spec of the fan where it tells you how much air the fan can push through a restricted area, like a radiator. The higher the static pressure is the better the fan is when mounted on a radiator.

I understand better now, but I don't see how there aren't any fans that dont have a higher maximum static pressure.

So there is not one aftermarket fan out there that has a higher maximum static pressure of 7.7mm/H2O? That seems hard to believe.

Search for yourself and see if you can find something. I can't even find a fan that is equal to the SP120 Performance edition.

i fail to see why theres such a need to replace the stockers :confused:

they can run at 1700 rpm with near quietness and still rival most fans on the market and you can still bump it up to turbo at 2600+ rpm for real air pressure.

• Corsair Employees
That is very true the fans we bundle are hard to beat in performance. However they are optimal for an above average climate, if someone live is a climate lets say that is under 70 deg F all the time moving to a lower RPM fan may make more sense for that user.

Looks like I found multiple fans that have a higher static pressure than stock:

Delta AFB1212SH-PWM - 10.92mm H20

Delta FFB1212EH-F00 - 12.43 mm H2O

Delta FFB1212EHE-F00 - 17.78 mm H2O

Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 - 27.48 mm H2O

1ST PC CORP. PFB1212UHE-F00 - 35.877 mm H2O

Now I choose which one suits best for me (noise to performance ratio), and hook them up to a fan controller. Then voila lower temps.

Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 - 27.48 mm H2O :

5200rpm, 62dBA... as an example, that's as noisy as a dishwasher!

Sure, Delta makes many extremely powerful fans.

They are also well-known for their very high noise levels.

Fans are designed to perform best within a certain rpm range, taking a high-speed fan and turning down the rpms doesn't typically give you the best efficiency compared to a fan designed to run at that rpm level from the start.

I'm not claiming that you can't beat a standard Corsair H100 radiator fan by looking elsewhere, but you will need to do your research.

It's been discussed many times and on many websites & forums.

Fans are relatively cheap - but not when you have to buy multiple sets before you end up with the right compromise between noise levels and performance.

IMHO, buying the ultra-high rpm Delta fans and simply turning them down to suit you will not give the best results.

Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 - 27.48 mm H2O :

5200rpm, 62dBA... as an example, that's as noisy as a dishwasher!

Sure, Delta makes many extremely powerful fans.

They are also well-known for their very high noise levels.

Fans are designed to perform best within a certain rpm range, taking a high-speed fan and turning down the rpms doesn't typically give you the best efficiency compared to a fan designed to run at that rpm level from the start.

I'm not claiming that you can't beat a standard Corsair H100 radiator fan by looking elsewhere, but you will need to do your research.

It's been discussed many times and on many websites & forums.

Fans are relatively cheap - but not when you have to buy multiple sets before you end up with the right compromise between noise levels and performance.

IMHO, buying the ultra-high rpm Delta fans and simply turning them down to suit you will not give the best results.

If you watch some videos of other people with these fans hooked up to a fan controller you can tell that even at lower rpm's they are moving more air than most fans out there. I'm not planning on lowering them to unusable speeds, but if the fan does 5000+ rpms it's not necessary to have them at those speeds when browsing the internet or on my desktop. Benchmarking the fans will be at full speed, and playing games maybe 75% speed. If I go with two of the 1ST PC CORP. PFB1212UHE-F00 fans that move 252.85 CFM at 5500 rpms and static pressure of 35.877 mm H2O. There is no doubt in my mind that even at 3000 or 4000 rpms they move more air than your traditional fan.

I dont see how running them at 65-75% speed the majority of the time will not provide good results.

I don't understand the need to replace the stock H100 fans? Why? Performance is great, noise is only an issue at highest settings. With good fan control, bay device etc or better yet software Asus fanxpert2 (which I use) can make these fans perform and be quiet at the same time.

In fact 24/7 'normal' use (mild OC on 3770k, in a 650D) I run the H100 fans at around 900rpm, quiet as a mouse, cpu temp rarely goes beyond 30c when ambient is around 20c, unless the CPU is stress tested.

I don't understand the need to replace the stock H100 fans? Why? Performance is great, noise is only an issue at highest settings. With good fan control, bay device etc or better yet software Asus fanxpert2 (which I use) can make these fans perform and be quiet at the same time.

In fact 24/7 'normal' use (mild OC on 3770k, in a 650D) I run the H100 fans at around 900rpm, quiet as a mouse, cpu temp rarely goes beyond 30c when ambient is around 20c, unless the CPU is stress tested.

while i agree with you,some seem to hate anything thats ''stock'',but sometimes theres just no substitude for stock but we keep on trying:D:

I dunno about the controller you have, but the ultra kaze will run fine , until it developes a discernable "ticking" dependant on RPM. kind of a typical issue for the kaze fans.

I have had and used a number of the kaze's on other controllers, and had no "controller issues". only fan issues with the kaze... but they do move a **** ton of air, when needed...

while i agree with you,some seem to hate anything thats ''stock'',but sometimes theres just no substitude for stock but we keep on trying:D:

I think it's just an assumption that all stock fans are going to be bad, personally I don't think the fans are the problem; i think the built in fan control on the H100 itself is certainly lacking, at least from an enthusiast perspective.

• 1 month later...

ok hi all i am new on this site i would like to ask for your help if you would not mind

i am running a corsair h80 and i have kust replaced the h80 stock corsair fans for

corsair sp120 Quiet Edition now is this a bad move.and should i of gone for performence edition and not Quiet Edition or should i of stuck with the stocks that are well loud

thanks for your help peeps

• Corsair Employees

Marcus, it all depends on what your preference. As you have noticed that many people like the stock fans due to its performance but when you turn up the notch on the controller, the stock fan runs a bit audible compared to when running them at balance and quiet profile. It is up to you on how you want your system is set up, towards performance or more on silent,

That is very true the fans we bundle are hard to beat in performance. However they are optimal for an above average climate, if someone live is a climate lets say that is under 70 deg F all the time moving to a lower RPM fan may make more sense for that user

Archived