Corsair Community

Need help with H80 (thank you in advance)

Karol401

Hello. I am new to liquid/water coolings and i just bought corsair h80 for my fx 8150. The first think is that when i unpackaged it on the radiator i saw like if somebody hit the radiator hard with a little object. Then i dont know if it is normal but please tell me if yes or no......on the 3 pin connector i see only 1 pin inside the header and on the molex i see only 2 pins. And neither in bios or with "speedfan" or any program i cant controll the fans speed. And please tell me what does the button on the pump do because i have the same speeds of fans and everything the same when i change profiles etc. Please any suggestions and any other help will be aprechiated. Thank you in advance

Fin damage or any damage to the tubes that run vertical should not be present.

The single wire 3pin connector is a tachometer lead that gets plugged into your CPU_FAN header so you can see what the pumps RPM's are. This remains constant and is not changable and you can not control it with speedfan,

The button on the cooling block does change fans speeds but only when it heats to a predetermined temp. It will also take about 30-40 seconds after you select a profile for the fans to change speed according to the temps of the cooling head.

Will just add, everything you have mentioned is perfectly normal m8 :). You have no worries thus far.

Even slight damage to the fins in the rad is not uncommon at all, and has been mentioned amongst other places, on this forum in with some regularity. It shouldn't affect the ability of the rad :).

It's not glaringly obvious, but my H80 has some slight fin damage here and there, it's never been an issue after months of use.

On your H80, you have 3 separate user modes, or profiles that you use the button on your H80 to cycle through to your preferred setting.

1 light = Quiet mode.

2 lights = Balanced mode.

3 lights = Performance mode.

Obviously going quiet will do just that, at the cost of your CPU running at higher temps, balanced is fairly self explanatory lol, and performance is for max cooling, at the sacrifice of a higher noise level.

We all have different preferences dependant upon what we use our systems for.

Personally my CPU is clocked, and I run CPU intensive apps on it a lot, so I use performance mode (all 3 lights illuminated) all of the time. Then I simply rely on my H80's on-board controller to adjust fan speeds as required.

All the best with your new H80, hope it meets your expectations :).

thank you all for your replies and by on-board you ment automatic? that you cant adjust it or anything? I read that if you buy i dont know how it is called and i am too lazy to go look on the box srry that you can controll fan speeds etc. how much does it cost and what is it ?

oh i am sorry for double posting but i forgot to ask one more question. I would like to order some better fans (if it is better you tell me pls your idea) i would like it to be quiter and more effective at the same time (if possible) because i run at performance mode cause i have fx 8150 (please help me how to overclock it because i am a newbie if you can) so i would like it to be a little more quiter if possible please tell which fans are good in cooling and doesnt have much noise etc. Thank you in advance again

By "on-board", this means that as you use the button to select any 1 of the 3 profiles available, yes, your H80 will automatically adjust the speed of your fans up and down as required by temperature.

Ultimately, you have the best fans with and for your H80 already. Corsair spent hundreds to thousands of hours of lab work and field testing and choosing the best fans to be installed with your H80.

You really need to decide what you want the most.

High performance, with extra noise, or....

Quiet fans, with higher CPU temps.

As already advised, your best bet would simply be to set your unit to profile 3, (so that all 3 lights are on), then your H80 will automatically do the rest for you.

I read that if you buy i dont know how it is called and i am too lazy to go look on the box srry that you can controll fan speeds etc. how much does it cost and what is it ?

It also sounds like you are describing a "Fan Controller", (as said, your H80 has an automatic fan controller on-board already).

You can buy separate after market fan controllers that will give you manual control over your fan speeds. But remember, if you go this route and add in your own fan controller, you will need to keep a keen eye on your temps to adjust your fan speeds manually. There are also automated Fan controllers available too, but then you'll just be doubling up, as the H80 already has one.

Up to you :).

i dont know about the fans but i was interested in Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15 it has 98cfm and the corsair fans only 46-92 (depending on the profile i guess) and t has 28dba and corsair 22-39 so i dont know tell me your opinion

It's because aftermarket fans use a different method of controlling the fans that the H-100 does not use. The Cooler is "tuned" to the stock fans only. You can use any fan you want with it, but you will need a separate fan controller to adjust them

• Corsair Employees
i dont know about the fans but i was interested in Scythe Gentle Typhoon D1225C12B5AP-15 it has 98cfm and the corsair fans only 46-92 (depending on the profile i guess) and t has 28dba and corsair 22-39 so i dont know tell me your opinion

If you are leaning towards performance, then my suggestion is to stick with stock fans...

Archived