Corsair Community

Asus A8V - 2 sticks of CMX512-3200C2 - Issue

TheVirus

Ok, I know both of these sticks work and they are fine. I had just used them in my previous setup and they ran flawlessly for a year or so. My problem/issue is this. I can only use one stick of RAM at a time. If I use both my board will tell me that 'Your PC could not boot due to CPU overclocking'. If I use one itll boot just fine under the same config. I called Asus Tech Support and they told me I need to change the bios config to the timings of the two chips. I have found via searching that 2.5-3-3-7 would be my config, or there abouts. Problem is the bios has more options than that. I searched and people have asked but I didnt see any definitive response. Here are the options: CAS TRC TRFC TRCD TWR TRWT TRAS TRP TWCL There are a few more like: AsyncLat Read Preamble 2t Command I dont know what to set those values to. I dont know why my RAM wont work together, I really need both sticks in due to video editing and such. It feels incredibly slow running with 512 instead of 1gb. Help me please, I am desperate.

For the hell of it 'll add the other options on the screen. Memclock Mode - I can set if i want 2:1 (400Mhz here) if I do computer wont boot with a single chip. DRAM Over 4G remapping - not needed for me. Bank Interleaving - No idea Node Interleaving - Above Burst Length - 8 or 4

DRAM Clock: 200 MHz DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5 (AMD platform) Command Rate: 1T All other settings are motherboard defaults. Try those.

[quote name='Wired']DRAM Clock: 200 MHz DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5 (AMD platform) Command Rate: 1T All other settings are motherboard defaults. Try those.[/QUOTE] No go. I change it to 1:1 (200) Didnt see Command Rate, and Bank Interleave is either Enable/Disable. So I tried the Burst Rate at 4, since you said 4.. No go either. This sucks...

I talked to Asus again and they told me to check this and that, pretty much a generic auto response. I told them that it has absolutely nothing to do with windows and drivers, its a bios/memory issue. I await their reply to that, hopefully it wont be something out of a folder. If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to contribute. If I dont get this solved within a day or so I will be RMA'ing this motherboard back to ZZF and grab the MSI NEO-whatsit.

Asus should support those modules, they are what they listed as compatible to that motherboard on their website (I have those modules myself). Here's the link [URL=http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8v-d/overview.htm]ASUS memory supported for A8V[/URL]

[quote name='RAM GUY']Please check the modules and tell me the complete part#; like: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 XMS3202 Rev 1.2 0305098[/QUOTE] I did, in my email. I haven't heard back about what you said to me :( Let me know because I cannot RMA this board for return, so I'm pretty much screwed. Just in case, Corsair CMX512-3200C2 XMS3202v2.2 & XMS3202v3.1 0315116 & 04170701 2 sticks of 512 each.

[quote name='RAM GUY']Both modules are the same, and you posted that you had been using these in another system, I would suspect some other problem! Can you test the modules in another system?[/QUOTE] They work fine in my MSI K7N2 config. You stated that because of the different version # that it may cause a problem. I've tested several different timing configurations and nothing works. The system simply will not boot. I really need this fixed because my applications and daily work require that extra RAM, even if this is a mainly gaming machine.

I just wish Asus would pick up the phone and help me out. I've been trying their tech support # for almost a week with no success. It's really unnerving to know that I spent 150 dollars on their product and I cannot recieve support for this. I can't imagine what it must be like for people with more serious issues =\

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived