Corsair Community

What SSDs are ok with nforce?

Title says it all really.

I'm looking for an SSD that'll play nicely with my nforce chipset, I've already tried a competitors SSD (Agility 3) and suffered system freezes of 30 seconds to 2 minutes for my trouble. Reading around this is a widespread issue (nvidia's fault), which leaves me wondering does anybody make a drive that won't conflict with my, admittedly ageing, PC?

It doesn't have to be blisteringly fast (on SATA 1 there's no point anyway), this is just a stop-gap measure while I save a bigger slice of wedge up for a proper upgrade.

Advice gratefully received ;)

All SSDs are ok for nForce theoretically but theres no practical reason. Ensure you have latest stable SandForce FW (if that would be existing) and latest WHQL-drivers.

Sata 1 is ~13% faster than P-ATA 133 at all, but P-ATA had primary and secondary channel, most nForce have only one SATA 1 bus, better save the money for the SSD and buy a motherboard with newer chipset that got sata III bus.

The chipset is deprecated, you wont find any new BIOS upgrades, so if SF and Corsair do not fix compatibility issues with decrecated chipsets, then nobody will do that.

Anyway when you have something older than nforce 4 ultra - only sata I - consider replacing it.

Theres no SSD brand or model that achieve full-spec on nForce.

Thanks, yes I'm saving up to replace the mobo, CPU etc. I'm going to get an SSD too so the plan is to buy an SSD to give me a few more months on my current system then carry that over. (So it won't be money wasted either way.)

The SATA 1 bottleneck isn't really something that bothers me at this point, it's the stability I'm concerend about. With regards to speed I just want a drive that can sustain reads better than my current spinning disk HD. TBH load times are the only thing bothering me even on this venerable PC, otherwise I'd not upgrade at all :D

Yeah, watch for the latest BIOS upgrade for your motherboard. I had a 630i with nForce sata I too. BIOS upgrades often also include Nvidia Sata FW upgrades.

It is also a good idea to extract the latest nForce Sata driver for your OS on a floppy (or USB-drive :D ) and use it straigth from the start.

Nvidia stopped nforce-series, stopped constructing motherboards at all and it stopped supporting them with new drivers or firmwares at the time SSD got available for mainstream consumers, thats the sad.

If i would make a suggestion: Choose Intel, if you are a gamer! :D:

No, i made the mistake to buy an AM3+ when BD was anounced, switched from nforce 630i with core 2 duo. Im actually with a (M)S(I) 990fx-gd65 and a Phenom II . . . actually i hope next year AMD will provide better CPUs. I even wont pay a cent for the BD2 coming in october, seems to be still not worth it.

I want to buy a AM3+ CPU that has better single core performance than when I just insert a AM2 Phenom 2, the money is already on the desk, but i fear this will not going to happen, in any near future. I guess this money finally will buy intel, sadly, because i dislike them.

AMDs new architecture approach is a big fail in gaming, since actually no game takes advantage of 8 virtual cores splitted onto 4 modules.

You wont find any good recommendation here.

Archived