Corsair Community

Why does XMP cause bsod?

Junk87

I built a whole new system a few days ago, and spent 3 days trying to troubleshoot a constant blue screen problem. Fortunately i figured out what was causing it, which is XMP.

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

^that is the memory i purchased. Claims to be XMP ready, right?

I had to disable xmp and reset my frequency to 1333 to remain stable. The memory claims that it can run at 1600, which it was set to when xmp was running.

Any ideas on how to get it to run stable at 1600?

Junk87, this could be worth to check: With some Gigabyte m/bs enabling XMP doesn´t always change your settings to the correct values, it´s common to have to enter the XMP values manually (mostly QPI/Vtt value and mem voltage according to the module label). If you haven´t already, please doublecheck these settings in the voltage section of the Bios and change manually if necessary.

Is there any other timings i need to set besides the 9-9-9-24?

Yes, you will need to set the frequency to 1600mhz. Just setting the timings will not auto set the frequency to 1600mhz.

And as Cooldrive suggested double check that the the voltages are getting set correctly too!.

Everything seems to be working fine after setting it to 1600 and setting everything manually.

I just set the 9-9-9-24 and increased the DRAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.525

Seems to be ok. Thanks. Not sure what QPI/vtt is but i didn't mess around with that. Im not exactly sure what values my ram required for that.

QPI/vtt is but i didn't mess around with that. Im not exactly sure what values my ram required for that.

That would be memory controller voltage. Although on your board it should be VCCSA voltage and usually those values are different depending on CPU. But as long as everything is running fine you should be good to go.

Archived