Corsair Community

H100 no boot. Ideas?

Bmac1

Hey guys , I'm not new to system building but I've run into a snag.

I installed a h100 into my system after years or just running stock fans. (i7-860 , and an asus p7p55 d le)

When I push my power button , all the fans fire up as expected , the h100 fans run high then slow down , but my screens never activate , and no system beep is to be heard. I've labored over this for a couple days now and I've run out of ideas ..

Heres what I've tried (not necessarily in this order)

1. Checking all connections , using different moles and fan slots/ connectors

2. Tried every different combination of RAM in my slots

3.replaced video card with a much lower end card

4. I uninstalled the h100, and reseated the CPU and cooler (with fresh paste)

5. I've flicked the unit , hoses , ran it on its side

6.I've reset my motherboard , removed battery , switched jumpers

So all I can think of is that the motherboard or CPU is toast.

Any ideas before I buy a new CPU and Mobo?

Thanks for the reply.

I considered that , but these sticks worked flawlessly for 2 yrs , how could all 4 of them be dead all of a sudden? As they weren't removed until after the no beep issue..

(patriot sector 5 ddr3 1600)

from my understanding,the first system check is memory,i chased the same problem a few weeks ago and it was a unseated chip.usually it only takes one chip to hang things up

it worked before i assume so it must be something rather simple

take a breath,slow down and youll get it

try removing some of the chips.,and trying it

Thanks for the reply.

I considered that , but these sticks worked flawlessly for 2 yrs , how could all 4 of them be dead all of a sudden? As they weren't removed until after the no beep issue..

(******** sector 5 ddr3 1600)

It can happen unfortunately, especially if not handled with correct anti-static procedures etc. Having said that, you describe being experienced with such matters, so presumably you have handled your hardware correctly!!!???

If all you did was swap out CPU cooler, and from your description, the H100 is working as it should too, AND, it all worked before. 'Tis a strange one, and the chances are you may have overlooked something relatively simple that is staring you in the face.......

......Otherwise, as wytnyt has said, work backwards, slowly, and double check everything.

Put just 1 x RAM module in your rig for now, if problems persist, try each 1 until you can get a sys boot.

Put the original GFX card back in.

Your spec's list 2 monitors, have you tried just connecting the 1 monitor for now? (As opposed to continuing with both of them connected). Once problem solved, then re-connect the 2nd monitor.

Mouse & keyboard definitely connected????? (Default setting for a lot of motherboards is to "Halt On" --> no keyboard = no POST).

Have you also double checked that both the 24 pin, and 8 pin from PSU are seated firmly 100% too??

Additionally, you also mention going through a common procedure for clearing your CMOS & resetting your BIOS. As long as this issue persists, obviously you can't access your UEFI/BIOS to check or to make any required changes, so assume that everything has reverted to their defaults.

That being the case, personally I'd unplug or disconnect absolutely everything but the bare essentials that are required for the system to run whilst you troubleshoot your way through this.

If that still fails, do you have a spare PSU, or one you can borrow to test????

After you have tracked down the problem, set up your BIOS as you had it before, then start re-adding your other hardware and peripheral devices back in.

Good luck with it :).

I've been systematically testing the sticks , I've gone through 2 sticks , swapping all configurations for them (a1/a2 , b1/b2 all combos) about to start the other 2 , then to switch up the pairs.

While I'm working through the problem I only have keyboard and 1 monitor hooked up , only my main drives plugged in , and optical drive is also unplugged ( ruling out any possible interference from them)

I've replaced the original gfx card once I had ruled out that it was the original card causing the problem.

Also psu connectors are firmly in place. I double checked once you mentioned it, even made sure It wasn't a pci-x cable.

When I'm done cycling through the ram , I'll update , and chalk it up to a dead Mobo, or somewhere I zapped it (though I'd be very disappointed in myself if it was a zap)

Thanks for the help guys

i wish we could be of more help,i know my prob was exactly like yours and it was the ram.while im far from a guru on this stuff,do check back on monday as there will be better guys that can help you.

one q tho

did you unplug or turn off the power supply before touching it?

if you did then its not likely you shocked anything and is most likely something you left unplugged or plugged wrong.

remove and reseat everything even if you didnt initially do the first time,dont assume it just looks connected

It's strange that he's not getting any beeps at all. While RAM is the first thing to be checked the MB should beep 3 times to signal a RAM error.

The fact that there are no beeps at all may mean a dead board, but i would try re-seating the CPU to be sure it didn't shift in the socket while you were changing coolers and prevent the board from starting normally.

I really doubt static electricity is the issue... Most modern components are not susceptible to static failures as components in the past. Even watching the "how to" videos on this site , and many other sites no one wears static straps any more.

And Before someone jumps on me for this, I'm sure there are isolated cases still, but it is not the concern of days gone by and these cases are very rare anymore is all im saying.

No, no, you're right Peanutz m8, it is fairly rare with "most" modern hardware, agreed!!

But, there are exceptions to every rule, hence my mentioning it as; "being a possibility".

I've had some Corsair RAM disappear up an attachment of a Dyson, (which gives me a proper static charge every time I touch the damned metal tubing LOL). After fishing it back out of the vacuum, it was carelessly dusted off, (thinking it would already be dead).......Yet, it is still working to this day absolutely fine in a spare laptop :)!!!! TY Corsair :).

Conversely, I've had a couple of ASUS AMD boards within the past 2 - 3 years that have both died as a result of poor handling after I gifted them onwards. 1 dead, period. Another, killed banks B1/B2 simply by adding RAM and not taking proper precautions.

It certainly sounds like the BMac knows what he was, and is doing, has taken the proper precautions anyway, and has a good general knowledge of what is going on.

The further this post goes on, the more it's actually sounding like a case of some seriously bad luck, and a specific cause could turn out to be very elusive.

It certainly sounds like the BMac knows what he was, and is doing, has taken the proper precautions anyway, and has a good general knowledge of what is going on.

The further this post goes on, the more it's actually sounding like a case of some seriously bad luck, and a specific cause could turn out to be very elusive.

I agree with you 100% Wolf!:D:

I've had some Corsair RAM disappear up an attachment of a Dyson, (which gives me a proper static charge every time I touch the damned metal tubing LOL). After fishing it back out of the vacuum, it was carelessly dusted off, (thinking it would already be dead).......Yet, it is still working to this day absolutely fine in a spare laptop :)!!!! TY Corsair

I wont ask how that happened! It is funny, and im glad the RAM survived the vacuum thrill ride!

@ BMac, any joy, or is it all totally dead?

@ Peanutz, An accidental trip over an attachment hose and total underestimation of the power of a Dyson ultimately ROFL. (No, I wasn't doing anything silly like attempting to vacuum delicate electronic equipment LOLOL).

WHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOSH......CLATTER!! WTF was that??? HHHHHHMMMMM, so it wasn't a coin that was just accidentally hoovered up!!!

It was a bit like something from an episode of Mr. Bean :).

Ok guys. So here it is.

I tested memory , video board , and PSU as well as other components in my test case. And they all work fine.

My case is a Phantom so its not like its a junky cobbled together thing.

So ive deduced that the Board or CPU is fried.

After watching it for a while i noticed that the H100 Fan controller is faulty (sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt , its rather sporadic) , so unfortunately ive returned the kit..

Good news : i had an excuse to upgrade my board and cpu :)

Couldn't it of just been the bracket or something to do with the h100 touching something on the board and shorting it out. Figured someone would of mentioned it. I don't see that happening with this board. As many will agree tho, all parts that are "the same" are not always equal. First thing I would've done is take the h100 back off and go back to the cooler u had before. Even after u upgraded that board/CPU is still with a $200 or so easy.

Nah , it was setup properly , after it didnt work , i replaced my old CPU cooler , still didnt work , so i just returned the h100 and used the credit for my new cpu/mobo.. ill try again with a new H100 after a couple pays ...

Archived