Corsair Community

Power supply upgrade to Dell Precision 390

FatBear

My computer is getting flaky and I am beginning to suspect the power supply. I would also like to upgrade my video card and I do not think the current 375 watt PS would be sufficient even if it were working perfectly.

So I would be interested to hear a recommendation for a Corsair replacement PS. I think 500 watts would be fine.

I understand that sometime in the early 2000s Dell used non-ATX standard pinouts on their motherboard power connector. I do not know if that was still true when they made my P-390. (I think that was probably in about 2007, but I honestly cannot remember for sure.) It is very important to me to know for sure that the new PS will not blow up my system, so if anyone can answer that question I would sure appreciate it!

The new supply will need at least as many of the various connectors as the old one because I find myself running short.

Also, my system has a power button on the front, no switch on the back if that matters.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Uses a standard ATX power supply, the Dell psu is 10mm taller than standard but the mounting holes are in the correct spot

Another company used to make Dell compatible power supplies, the only difference between the Dell compatible models and the regular models was the lack of a switch, something you don't need to be concerned with.

I managed to "chat" with a Dell technical guy late last night and he was pretty sure that any aftermarket ATX power supply "should" work in my P-390.

Contrvlr, about that switch that you mentioned: my computer turns on with a push button (momentary) switch on the front of the case. If (when, lately) it hangs you can press and hold that button and it will power down. If I get an aftermarket PS from Corsair, will that button still work or will I have to power it on and off from the rear?

Thanks for the help. It is looking like I can probably buy a Corsair PS for my system. Next I need to figure out which model...

Contrvlr, about that switch that you mentioned: my computer turns on with a push button (momentary) switch on the front of the case. If (when, lately) it hangs you can press and hold that button and it will power down. If I get an aftermarket PS from Corsair, will that button still work or will I have to power it on and off from the rear?

Yes , the case switch will still work. They are controlled from the MB and not directly connected to the PSU itself.

• Corsair Employees
I managed to "chat" with a Dell technical guy late last night and he was pretty sure that any aftermarket ATX power supply "should" work in my P-390.

But this does not mean that they will support ATX 2.1 to 2.3 Specification. Just make sure that this is indeed the case.

Archived