Corsair Community

Issues with Force 3 90 GB, Asus M3N78-VM, Windows 8 64bit

moskie

In preparation for installing Windows 8 Pro on my HTPC, I got a Force 3 90 GB SSD. I made sure AHCI was enabled on my motherboard, and the Windows installation went without a hitch.

But now, after Windows has been running for around 20 minutes or so, Windows begins to freeze. At first, it's not fully frozen: the mouse still moves around, but the Windows UI is unresponsive. It eventually blue-screens (with a new Windows 8 Frowny Face screen!) with a message that says "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" with a "0%" shown for the information it's trying to gather. I think that 0% is Windows failing to write the memory dump to disk, but that's just a guess on my part.

Then, when I reboot, my motherboard's BIOS is sporadically unable to recoginze the Force 3 drive, telling me to insert bootable media and/or reboot. I see other HDs in BIOS that I have in the computer, but it won't list the Force 3 until I do a cold boot. At which point, Windows starts up and the cycle begins anew. I see no message in Windows Event viewer describing the blue screen error message (which might be a side effect of Windows being unable to write to disk?).

My motherboard is an Asus M3N78-VM, the specifications of which can be found here. What might be specifically relevant is that its chipset is an NVIDIA GeForce 8200. I flashed the latest bios firmware, flashed the latest firmware onto the Force 3, installed the latest NVIDIA drivers, and still experience this problem. I have also tried a different SATA cable and a different SATA port on the motherboard, and the problem still happens.

Are there other things I should try? Is my mobo/chipset not compatible with this drive? Or should the drive be working here, meaning it's faulty?

One idea I had: I don't have experience with controllers, but is there a controller that I can get, which plugs into a PCI slot, and the SSD into the controller? Would that bypass potential incompatibilities?

Archived