Corsair Community

Problems with A8V and 3200C2PT

elwood

Me and my friend put his new system together the other night and we had some memory problems. First off, the necessary specs.. Asus A8V Deluxe WI-FI 939 AMD64 3500+ BFG 6800 GT OC 1 GB (2x512) TwinX 3200C2PT Antec Trupower 550w So we put everything together and cross our fingers. We hit the power and it POSTs! YAY! Install XP and it boots fine. Install all drivers. And commence to benchmarking and playing games. Well, the system starts giving BSOD (blue-screens of death) and rebooting when playing a game or benchmarking. I do stress tests on the video card, nothings wrong with that. So i take out the stick thats in the first blue slot to the left and boot with one 512 in "slot1". Everything runs PERFECT. Benchmarks complete, plays games for hours. I break out memtest86 and test the first module, it turns out fine. I swap the modules out. The second one gets some errors. Ok! Now some relief! We RMA the ram. My friend decides he's gonna buy another 1gb kit so he can have 2gb's when his RMA ones come back. He gets the new ram in, plugs them into both blue slots, and still the same crap. So he tries each stick in slot one. They each run perfectly by theirself i slot1. I am to the conclusion now that it HAS to be the motherboard. I am going to put the memory in my system and run memtest on it to make sure! But what are the odds of getting a bad motherboard AND bad RAM at the same time?! I will post the results of memtest when i finish it in a few hours. If anyone has any other ideas before i pull this board out and pack it for RMA, please feel free to say. And BTW, everything is at STOCK speeds, no overclocking. Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
First thing please get the latest bios 1.006 beta 6 or newer and then load setup defaults and set these settings with the Dim Voltage set to 2.7 Volts: [B]CAS Latency CL=2.5[/B] Row Cycle Time tRC [B]Bios Default[/B] Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3 [/B] Row to Row delay [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6 [/B] [B]Row Precharge Time tRP 3[/B] Write Recovery Time [B]Bios Default[/B] Write to Read delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Read to Write Delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Refresh Period tREF [B]Bios Default[/B] Enable 2T Timing [B]AUTO[/B] Then test them one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and make sure it's stable!

[quote name='RAM GUY']First thing please get the latest bios 1.006 beta 6 or newer and then load setup defaults and set these settings with the Dim Voltage set to 2.7 Volts: [B]CAS Latency CL=2.5[/B] Row Cycle Time tRC [B]Bios Default[/B] Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3 [/B] Row to Row delay [B]Bios Default[/B] [B]Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6 [/B] [B]Row Precharge Time tRP 3[/B] Write Recovery Time [B]Bios Default[/B] Write to Read delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Read to Write Delay [B]Bios Default[/B] Refresh Period tREF [B]Bios Default[/B] Enable 2T Timing [B]AUTO[/B] Then test them one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and make sure it's stable![/QUOTE] Got it running smoothe. Had to set CAS latency to 2.5 :( I guess thats why this particular set of memory is kinda cheap compared to other high-end corsair sets :/ Do you know if i will have to change CAS latency to 3 once i get another (2x 512) gb of the same memory?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='elwood']Got the other 1gb kit in, installed it. 3dmark/SWG crashes (app just closes out to the desktop). Timings = 2.5-4-3-6@2.8v Help. :pouts:[/QUOTE] Am I understanding that you now have all four DIMMS filled? If so try setting 2T[ENABLE] now........setting this to [AUTO] may not suffice.

[quote name='Lidocaine']Am I understanding that you now have all four DIMMS filled? If so try setting 2T[ENABLE] now........setting this to [AUTO] may not suffice.[/QUOTE] Yes sir. 4x 512mb. I changed the timings to 2.5-4-4-6 and 3dmark ran all the way through. I will try and enable it with my previous timings and see what i get. Thanks

[quote name='elwood']Yes sir. 4x 512mb. I changed the timings to 2.5-4-4-6 and 3dmark ran all the way through. I will try and enable it with my previous timings and see what i get. Thanks[/QUOTE] Ok....with all 4 banks filled it HAS to run at 2T command rate.....so just set it to 2T[ENABLE] Let us know if this offers stability. You "should" be able to keep the other manually set timings at their rated specs....but the cmd rate needs to be at 2T. I suggest changing one thing at a time, check for stability, and then proceed to "tweak" your settings.

[quote name='elwood']I tested the two new sticks individually in slot1 and they both work fine. Any ideas? :[pouts:[/QUOTE] If you indeed have your bios set up correctly and the ram is fastened it the slot and secured, and have ruled out the possibility of another piece of hardware not functioning properly......especially the powersupply......RMA that board.. These boards should not be causing any unecessary grief... The last thing I can think is to make sure you are using a single molex to power your vid card......meaning nothing else but the vid card on a single molex coming out of the powersupply. Double check all bios settings and if you have a question about a particular one.....feel free to ask. Check your Voltages on your powersupply to make sure all rails are delivering current correctly.....3v, 5v, 12v. Let us know how it goes.

Everything in the BIOS is set correctly. The video card is on its own lead by itself. The voltages according to ASUS' Hardware monitor is 11.84 / 4.972 / 3.28 (these are pretty accurate as i tested the PSU with a meter before installing it and i was getting pretty much the same readings). Should i consider RMA'ing the PSU? *EDIT* Keep in mind that 2x 512 runs flawlessly by theirself.

[quote name='elwood']Everything in the BIOS is set correctly. The video card is on its own lead by itself. The voltages according to ASUS' Hardware monitor is 11.84 / 4.972 / 3.28 (these are pretty accurate as i tested the PSU with a meter before installing it and i was getting pretty much the same readings). Should i consider RMA'ing the PSU? *EDIT* Keep in mind that 2x 512 runs flawlessly by theirself.[/QUOTE] Do you have another PSU to check, in case it is not the PSU?....however, quickly checking my rails in the bios I get much better v's to each rail than you.. In my initial build, I got a defunct powersupply, even though it was a brand new one, and let me tell ya.......I went thru hell and back before I admitted to myself that a brand new ANTEC ps was bad......stuck a new one in and BINGO!.......nary a problem since........ My issues were random reboots.....I could run for 6 hours, no problems, then BAM.....reboot...this cycle continued for 2 FULL freakin days before I put another one in.............never looked back after that. On a side note....and an important one.....try each DIMM one at a time with a stick of memory to make sure you do not have a bad board........bad DIMM slot. One more thing......try maybe setting your memory timings to AUTO again and let the SPD's be detected in the bios and see if this offers any stability.......running 2gigs of memory may require a more laxed timing configuration despite my suggestions of being able to run with the previous settings..........give this a shot.......... Run [url=http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php]CPU-Z[/url]<----click this.......and this program will tell you what the bios has set your timings on at [AUTO]...

Archived