Corsair Community

H100 starting to make a weird noise under Windows 8

Streetwolf

Preparing to upgrade to Windows 8 I uninstalled the CL software and unplugged the Commander unit. After the install was complete and I got into W8 I noticed that after a few minutes my H100 sounded like static.

A restart of my machine did not fix it. A shutdown followed by a power on did silence my H100 until about an hour later when the static noise came back. This has happened a few times already. Quiet for some length of time then static.

Is my H100 on it's death throws? Can Windows 8 be the cause of this problem? Remember, I am not using CL at all.

btw... I got W8 Pro x64 from Technet so it's legit. OT.... W8 isn't so bad once you get used to it.

Did it happen before you upgraded to Windows 8?

Is the sound coming from the pump loud?

Also note that Link Software does not support Windows 8.

1. I never had this sound before, either with or without the CL, until I went to W8. Let me give you some background info on my install of W8. I knew the CL wasn't supported so when I was still in Windows 7 I uninstalled the software. I then unplugged the USB cable and the cable going to my H100. I did this when my machine was still running. After this I started the install of W8. I am wondering if disconnecting the cables on a running system had anything to do with the sound? I would think not.

2. The CL is no longer being used. This includes the hardware and software. I was already familiar with the fact that the software doesn't work under W8.

3. The noise as I said kind of sounds like static. It's not ear popping but when it starts doing this it is noticeable since my H100 is pretty quiet to begin with. The noise is not like going from one light to three lights. I'm more concerned that something is wrong with my H100 more than the noise although I don't like the noise.

4. I've noticed that the noise now will appear some time after I start my machine. The time varies. It might start 10 minutes after I boot up and than stop after 10 minutes. It can come back again. This happened as I was writing this post. It was making the noise for awhile than all of of sudden it stopped. There still is no noise at this point.

***** update ****

Noise just came back after maybe 10 minutes. I wonder if and when it will stop.

Hold the presses. The noise might have been the result of my CPU back panel vibrating. I haven't has any noise issues since I removed and reinstalled the back panel. Fingers crossed.

my first thought as i am oh so guilty of fixing one problem and creating 5 more :D:

my first thought as i am oh so guilty of fixing one problem and creating 5 more :D:

Looks like it was the back plane. I suppose when I pulled out the cable from the H100 it caused this? Can't imagine it but what other thing could have caused it at that exact moment?

At least it led me to tighten the H100 bracket screws a little.

No worries at least you got it resoled with out sending anything away.

I still get the noise. I can stop it temporarily by smacking on the back side cover of my case as well as the back plane cover or back plane itself.

I am now thinking it is in the H100 itself and not just a vibration somewhere else.

Do you have any suggestions for a permanent fix or should I RMA my H100? I got it in April if I recall correctly. Obviously I would need a cross shipment as I can't run without a cooler.

I really hate to have to reinstall a new H100. I suppose I can't keep the radiator and fans I already have, but it appears the coolant tubes are permanently connected to the radiator.

Place a something under the backplate that is non-conductive. or try re-screw the backplate to the block.

Many places (Frozen CPU) sell rubber fan gaskets that mount between the fan and whatver it is mounted to. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about something else?

So you thought you fixed it but it still makes this noise? You've already tigtened the screws more and noticed that things havn't changed I would first thing not take it apart if you're ever thinking about is as it can affect your warranty etc. The only time I've heard that the pc water pumps is making noise is when it is going bad (which rarely I've heard that with the H100) or it needs to bleed (air is in the tubes which in return goes through the pumps which is a no-no and causes the pump to make noises and eventually fail/die). Just a thought. Hope this helps and if anything just do an RMA if it progresses or it is that noticeable. Make sure you test it on the side w/ nothing else running other than that H100 pump (no fans etc) to see if the actual pump is the issue/noise maker. If it is I would than RMA it. Hope this helps.

Many places (Frozen CPU) sell rubber fan gaskets that mount between the fan and whatver it is mounted to. Is that what you are talking about or are you talking about something else?

He mentioned the backplate was causing the noise. So i just suggested something non-conductive to prevent the backplate from making the noise.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI...

I fixed my noise problem by buying the Molex diode adapter created by 'wlw wl'over at http://www.overclock.net/t/1236923/corsair-h100-h80-h60-noise-grinding-pump-fix-official-corsair-response

Sure you can get a new H series cooler from Corsair but folks are still getting bad ones. The diode adapter fixed it for me. You can build it yourself if you want to. There are instructions at the site above.

So let's recap.

1. Bad H series coolers. Small number is the corporate line by Corsair. Hardly reassuring for those with the problem and quite frankly I don't believe what Corsair say's

2. CorsairLink and Commander. Never got it to work 100%. Furthermore Corsair won't start to work on a W8 version until Oct 26th. Pretty lame considering RTM is out and they have the opportunity to have it available at least as a beta by Oct 26. Now I have my Commander holding down some papers on my desk. Way to go Corsair.

3. I bought two 32 GB USB3 Corsair Voyager Flash drives. Talk about a POS. My system failed to even recognize them 90% of the time and when it did anything on them became corrupted. I picked up a 32 GB USB3 flash drive from PeeEnWhy and surprise no problems. (Do you believe if I write the actual 3 letter brand name it becomes asterisks in this Forum? Censorship is still alive at Corsair)

WTF happened to you Corsair? Quality isn't job 1 for you guys.

Now let's watch RAM GUY get a hissy fit over my comments as he often does. True corporate shill. LMAO.

wow,sorry your having a bad stroke of luck with your parts,fortunately it doesnt affect everyone

ive bought so much stuff over the years i could say the same about most brands but theres defects in them all

nothings perfect

thats why theres warranties

I fixed my noise problem by buying the Molex diode adapter
Note: That's NOT a fix for the actual issue, just lowers the 12V voltage a bit.

2. Furthermore Corsair won't start to work on a W8 version until Oct 26th.
Can't say I've seen them mention that anywhere here on the forum. You may be reading their statement wrong where they say something along the lines that they won't support Windows 8 until it's out in retail. That's different than them saying they won't work on it.

3. As per the forums please don't go around the forum filter, thanks.

Now let's watch RAM GUY get a hissy fit over my comments as he often does. True corporate shill. LMAO.
??? He's not a shill. He DOES work for them.

Archived