Corsair Community

I don't understand

cemster

Hi, yes I don't understand at all!

There are several 8x8GB (64GB) Corsair sets. Both Vengeance and Dominator series...

CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9

You can buy this You can buy this HERE

And there are also:

'Corsair Vengeance 64GB with GT DHX Pro Connector - 1.5V QUAD Chanel DDR3 PC3-15000 (1866MHz)'

& there is a '1333MHz' version as well...

Not to mention

'Dominator Platinum DDR3 64GB 2133MHz, 9-11-11-31, 1.5V Model 8CMD64GX3M8A2133C9'

Right here is the Corsair's own page about it...

Yet when you go to the products page there is no sign of any of these products!!!

I wrote a mail to Corsair support and asked about these models about a week ago, no body bothered to replied...

SO I'M ASKING DOES ANYBODY KNOWS WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

• Corsair Employees
Where did it say we recommend to stay away from the Vengeance series? Also, there currently is no Dominator 64GB kit except for the Platinum series at this moment, and that is not in stores yet. Your only choices for a single 64GB kit is to go with the Vengeance or XMS3 kit. I apologize in advance regarding our website. We don't have all the memory sets available on our website since retailers always gets our products first. Also, which email did you use for support? I'll check to see why we didn't reply.

Thank you for taking interest..

Strangely enough it was your statement that said...

Yes I would stay with Vengeance modules for Intel Sandy Dridge.
In HERE Except that apparently I've had a little confusion... It is the opposite of what I said... It's the Dominator series that Sandy Bridge owners should stay away from, not the Vengeance... It's my bad... Sorry about that...

Also, there currently is no Dominator 64GB kit except for the Platinum series at this moment

This link was my source of info.. And yes it is the Platinum series...

Corsair Dominator 64GB 2133MHz, 9-11-11-31, 1.5V QUAD Chanel DDR3 CMD64GX3M8A2133C9

Your only choices for a single 64GB kit is to go with the Vengeance or XMS3 kit.

Newegg.com was selling both the 1600MHZ & 1333MHz

But now there is only 1600MHZ and I don't know anything about about XMS3...

And the Vengeance 64GB 1866MHz is HERE...

Also since we are here... I'm consistently hearing that there is no real need to go over 1600MHz ram for X79 platform..

The Intel platform just isn't that sensitive to timings. And clock frequencies and therefore bandwidth aren't as important as you think they are.

&

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...V-3V4G3/7.html

&

Anand's article

So in that case, I have P9X79 WS/i73960X and the best option for me would be: Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) 1600MHz...

Not the new Dominator Platinum as I mistakenly thought before... Agreed?

Thank you...

Also Cemster you read Ram guys statement wrong.

Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post

Yes I would stay with Vengeance modules for Intel Sandy Dridge.

The Vengeance series was designed and tested on the SandyBridge/IvyBridge platform.

But yes you can use the Dominator platinum series with that MB. They would be fully compatible. Even though they are not listed as of yet, like the 64gig Vengeance series.

Really you are making thing a lot harder than they need to be buy reading so many different reviews and such, Search for your MB on the Corsair memory finder and use any of the modules listed there or on the ASUS QVL.

Now since your CPU supports 1600mhz RAM natively you can indeed go with something higher , Like 1866mhz or even 2133mhz if you really wanted to. 1866mhz would be a slight overclock and would run just fine . I think the issue with RAM over 1600mhz is that there really isn't a NEED for anything faster unless you are running benchmarks for bragging right. Most games , software , ect just doesn't benefit from anything faster at this time.

However ,there was a recent user that reported ASUS told him that 2133mhz was the sweet spot for Ivy Bridge CPU. Sort of like 1600mhz was the sweet spot for the X58 chip set. Whether that is true or not I cant teell you. But i do tend to believe that.

So basically , it's going to boil down to what you want or can afford if that is a factor.

Also, like Wired asked, Why 64 gig's? If you are just wanting to max out the memory on your board i would seriously consider not if that is the only reason. It's just putting undue stress on the CPU's memory controller and you would never utilize that much.

Now if you are running alot of VM's and doing rendering/encoding ect that you need that much i understand .Some things do benifit more from increased capacity vs speed.

Thank you guys for helping me out..

Also Cemster you read Ram guys statement wrong.

I think I corrected my mistake right on spot there on my first post, no?... :))

Why do you want 64 GB?

I'm indeed planning on running quiet a bit of VM's and primarily Video/Audio work...

Search for your MB on the Corsair memory finder and use any of the modules listed there or on the ASUS QVL.

Well, Corsair memory finder as the rest of the site does not even mention the 64GB or any 8x modules!

Asus qvl. site is even worst. they neither have anything more than 16GB, nor any 8x sets!!! (Why to have 8xDimm slots?) So no help there either.

Also I do remember reading (despite the criticism :) well I need to research to educate myself) that 1600MHz was also the sweet spot for X79...

So, even though there are no official support from neither Corsair nor Asus, I wishfully presume that I have three options with Corsair:

1) Vengeance 64GB 1600MHz (CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9)

2) Vengeance 64GB 1866MHz (CMZ64GX3M8A1866C9)

&

3) Dominator Platinum 64GB 2133MHz (8CMD64GX3M8A2133C9)

The first option, most likely the best option in my opinion... Besides the only available one is the 1600MHz Vengeance set...

The others are not to be found anywhere! And when I mean anywhere I mean in the US or Europe... I live in Turkey but forget about finding anything remotely high end here!

So I'll be buying them in US, most likely from Newegg.com

• Corsair Employees

Let's see if we can break this down a little so its not so confusing...!

Well, Corsair memory finder as the rest of the site does not even mention the 64GB or any 8x modules!

A: The higher density memory used to make an 8 Gig module has only recently became available in the market. At least at a reasonable price. A Few months ago an 8.0 Gig module would have cost more than $2000.00 per module Because of the cost of the IC. That cost has came down as the IC's started to ramp up production which is common for memory.. So please keep that in mind.

Asus qvl. site is even worst. they neither have anything more than 16GB, nor any 8x sets!!! (Why to have 8xDimm slots?) So no help there either.

A: For the same reasons as above the modules have not been readily available. And MB Manufacturers have to make arrangements to purchase memory for testing we do not give it to them for free, just like they do not give is MB's for free. In order for a manufacturer to do a qualification for memory they normally request several sets of modules and at $1000.00 USD per set the cost to them can be astronomical and I can tell you they just don't do it. Because it is not practical or cost effective. If they did you you as a consumer would have to pay about twice what you paid for the MB you have. In reality we as consumers have to pay for what we get. I know that seems simple and hard core but its the cold hard fact if it costs X amount to build and test something then we have pay Y amount...

Also I do remember reading (despite the criticism :) well I need to research to educate myself) that 1600MHz was also the sweet spot for X79...

A: Yes I would agree; over clocking does yield some benefits but its minimal with this platform.

So, even though there are no official support from neither Corsair nor Asus, I wishfully presume that I have three options with Corsair:

A: I am really lost by this statement and not sure what you are trying to say here. But I assure you both Corsair and ASUS put a large expense of Time and people into supporting our products to ensure they are the best you can buy and to provide the best support possible so I am sorry I don't get your point here. Unless you are just trying to insult us which I don't believe that is your point. So maybe just frustration, and for that I am sorry but given some time more help with larger memory sets will become more widely abundant int he market.

1) Vengeance 64GB 1600MHz (CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9)

2) Vengeance 64GB 1866MHz (CMZ64GX3M8A1866C9)

&

3) Dominator Platinum 64GB 2133MHz (8CMD64GX3M8A2133C9)

The first option, most likely the best option in my opinion... Besides the only available one is the 1600MHz Vengeance set...

The others are not to be found anywhere! And when I mean anywhere I mean in the US or Europe... I live in Turkey but forget about finding anything remotely high end here!

So I'll be buying them in US, most likely from Newegg.com

A: I am sorry for the way it is with some areas of the world but mostly its due to demand of products. While you want these modules there may not be too many others in your part of the world willing to pay for this item; and again I am not trying to be rude just honest.

What I mean by this is that in the USA for example there are server farms that are willing to pay top dollar for this hardware and often times put them selves on waiting lists to get parts like this and spare no expense. But that industry started here and has exploded in the last 20 years to where now everything that we do revolves around computers and the Internet.

Thank you again for the extended response...

I am really lost by this statement and not sure what you are trying to say here. But I assure you both Corsair and ASUS put a large expense of Time and people into supporting our products to ensure they are the best you can buy and to provide the best support possible so I am sorry I don't get your point here. Unless you are just trying to insult us which I don't believe that is your point. So maybe just frustration, and for that I am sorry but given some time more help with larger memory sets will become more widely abundant int he market.

Well of course no insult intended here... I'm simply pointing out that Corsair memory finder and Asus QVL pages do not suggest any of the 8x memory sets for Asus P9x79 WS Mobo... So I'm in the dark about if the Vengeance 64GB 1600MHz (8x8GB) (CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9) memory set is suitable for my Mobo or not...

I am not trying to be rude just honest.

I didn't think you were. Also I am not from Turkey, I just live here. And it is really not your fault that the high end equipment is not available here.

Never the less, it would have been nice if you were represented here officially... As there is a quiet a bit of a market in Turkey.

My main concern is to make sure that I get a supported memory set for my Mobo, that's all...

So, am I okay with the Vengeance 64GB 1600MHz (8x8GB) (CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9) for P9X79 WS?

Or would you suggest any other option?

Thank you again for your help. I appreciate it.

Cheers

Well of course no insult intended here... I'm simply pointing out that Corsair memory finder and Asus QVL pages do not suggest any of the 8x memory sets for Asus P9x79 WS Mobo... So I'm in the dark about if the Vengeance 64GB 1600MHz (8x8GB) (CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9) memory set is suitable for my Mobo or not...

Yes, ANY of the quad Vengeance OR Platinum modules will be compatible with that board!

So, am I okay with the Vengeance 64GB 1600MHz (8x8GB) (CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9) for P9X79 WS?

Again, yes, they will be fine with that MB>

Archived