Corsair Community

Force GT drives randomly not bootable in Dell Optiplex 980

Murpheeee

We are replacing the HDD in 500 computers with 180Gb Corsair Force GTs.

The OptiPlex 980s, seem to be exhibiting an issue where they randomly will not see the SSD as a boot device.

The BIOS still sees the device as a SATA drive, and often a simple reboot will make it come back or sometimes a BIOS reset is required.

This seems completely random, machines which have worked fine for days suddenly will not boot.

We are running the latest BIOS version (A11) in AHCI mode.

We have also tried updating the SSD firmware to the latest version, but this does not seem to help.

We have so far only seen this on the 980 chassis, the OptiPlex 960 and 990 seem fine.

We have a call in to Dell but there are no known issues

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have not tried those things, as it is happening so randomly.

If I reboot a batch of 50 computers, and average of 4 or 5 will lose the HDD as a boot device. If I do it again, it could be a different few.

I only have one SATA power cable coming from the PSU.

The one thing they all have in common is they are connected to the SATA-0, is it worth trying a different port on all?

Try turning off Quick Boot or any other that has something to do with quick POST or Boot.

Have you tried a different SATA data cable?

If it only happens with the OptiPlex 980s and works fine on the 960 and 990. It might be something to do with the BIOS.

Yes I tried switching cables on some, as well as switching ports. Its so random its hard to pin down. I did experience some failures with the new cables and the different SATA port.

I tried disabling fast boot, did not help.

It seems like SATA ports are randomly dropping out at boot up

We are using latest BIOS, Dell have been little help so far.

Also checked the Intel site and my chipset drivers are current

Yes I tried switching cables on some, as well as switching ports. Its so random its hard to pin down. I did experience some failures with the new cables and the different SATA port.

I tried disabling fast boot, did not help.

It seems like SATA ports are randomly dropping out at boot up

We are using latest BIOS, Dell have been little help so far.

Also checked the Intel site and my chipset drivers are current

Is there an option for HDD acoustic mode? Maybe change it to performance? I haven't dealt with Dells in ages, so that is all I got :(

Archived