Corsair Community

F90 simply..disappears...

giangi75

...and reappears on the Moon as the black monolithe!

Not really, now for the real story:

1. one day I get a bsod under Win7-64bit;

2. some file gets corrupted;

3. I try chkdsking the F90 on a different machine, but during the procedure it simply...hangs and disappears from the list of available drivers, so that I can't fix the error;

3.1 it is worth noticing that I was able to connect the F90, retrieve many files from it, but every now and then, while copying a file, it simply...hanged and disappeared from drive list;

3.2 Rebooting didn't help either, I had to power off the machine to get the drive to be recognized by BIOS again;

4. I finally manage to format /quick under a machine, miracolously it doesn't hang.

5. After writing some files on the reformatted F90...it simply hangs and disappears from drive list again, until I shut down the machine and restart it.

A little help please? Thanks for your time!

Do you have the latest SSD firmware 5.02?

You can check it by using the firmware updater itself or CrystalDiskInfo.

When you formatted the drive, Did you secure erase the SSD?

Tried a different SATA data cable/motherboard port?

Latest BIOS?

Hey Ramguy,

1. I downloaded the F90 update tool and firmw from corsair's

2. the firmw writing tool doesn't find the drive (not drive connected, or some similarm message) and hitting on "refresh drive list" doesn't help

3. I tried this first in direct sata connection (motherb->ssd) and then on a different machine (pc->usb/sata-bridge->ssd), the result is the same: no drive found

4. Interestingly, Windows (7 in both cases) finds the drive, assigns a letters, let me browse through it for a minute or two..then it hangs, disappears, as if it was unplugged.

Is AHCI enabled in the BIOS?

Secure erase the drive, install Windows on it and try the firmware update again. Or plug the SSD into another computer (Motherboard>SSD).

If the drive hangs and disappears during a secure erase, Windows installation, etc, Request an RMA to get the drive replaced.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but you cannot do the firmware update through a USB port, it has to be on a controller running in AHCI MODE. And I would use another HDD to boot the system and the drive you want to update as second HDD. You also need to run the update program as an administrator you cannot just click ont he file to run it.

Hey RamGuy,

Yes the USB attempt was just a secondary attempt as the first one was runned on my PC, booting from another HD, and with the SSD attached directly to sata plugs on motherboard and running the updater as Admin; nonetheless, the firmware update didn't recognize any SSD connected, altought W7 showed the SSD as present and assigned it a letter as usual. Controller has been running in AHCI mode from day 1, when I first installed the SSD, about one year ago.

Now I will attempt the PartMagic secure erase, but keep in mind I didn't manage to update the firmware because of the above mentioned failure to detect.

• Corsair Employees
NP please try the update after you run secure erase on it, that sometimes will allow it to work. And remember to right click on the update application and run as administrator or it will not see the drive for sure. Also try it on another port.

Hey Ramguy,

thanks for your help so far, but the SSD increasingly looks gone to me.

I booted in PartedMagic and

1. at first it took Eraser about one minute to recognize the hdds, and the name of the F90 come up with garbage characters (like non unicode stuff, replaced by little squares);

2. I rebooted in PartedMagic and this time it partially recognized the F90 - partially because I was able to recognized only it's size (90gig);

3. the Eraser successfully erased the F90, but oddly enough it took about 2 seconds;

4. After rebooting in W7, I went to Control Panel to recreate the partition, but it started quite slowly..it hanged for a minute...then I heard the "unplugged" sound one hears when (for instance) and USB is unplugged from Windows

5. Only then did W7 hd manager show up, but there's no trace of the F90.

I guess something is deeply wrong with the poor thing?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived