Corsair Community

GS 800w Fan stressing and whining

Adam1776

Hello,

I just bought and installed a Corsair GS800w into my brand new computer, and at first everything ran fine, the all games play fine and there are no real issues with how it powers the computer. However, not long after logging into a game I noticed what sounded like a soft beep that kept repeating periodically. I then opened the side of the case and saw that the noise was coming from the Power supply, and would only be made when the fan kept trying to start but wouldn't completely start up, after a few minutes though the fan kicked in and the sound would stop until it slowed down again.

I have check every plug in, made sure they are right and securely fastened, but the sound still continues, I also gave the power cord its own socket. I'm not sure if this is common because I have looked and looked for a solution but I haven't seen anything useful.

To be clear - When the fan isn't spinning there is no sound, when the fan is spinning in full, there is no sound. The sound which sounds like a strained beep or a soft whine only occurs when the fan is stuck in this in between phase where the fan jerks slightly, corresponding exactly with the sound.

I hope i have been clear in my description, I thank anyone and everyone for their time.

This video is exactly the problem I am having.

It sounds as if the fan controller is either faulty or your PSu is just barely getting to the point where it reaches the thermal limit and is trying to figure out if it wants to start or not.

Just to be on the safe side I would have it replaced. If you can return it to your reseller that would be the place to start if you are still within their time frame. And if they cant not or will not help you you can always RMA it through Corsair. If that is the case use the link on the left to request an RMA.

I just went and got my PSu replaced today, and as soon as I began playing games on it the sound started up again. If this indeed is because its barely getting to the thermal limit how can do anything about it? It's really an obnoxious noise that completely negates the fan noise for something far worse. If there is anything that you can do I would appreciate it, otherwise I will have to consider this product rather inferior and go with another brand. The box clearly states that is it supposed to be quiet, not obnoxiously annoying during gameplay.

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry I have not noticed that type of an issue with the PSU's I have tested before but I have sent your comments on to our Engineering and asked them to check into this! So please give a bit and let me see what they say or suggest. In the meantime have you tried any of the BIOS settings listed in this post?

• 1 month later...

Still no reply from that engineer? I got the same kind of problem. Sounds like the fan 'tries' to start and it goes back and forth for some reason. My solution is simple, can we disable the system that makes the fan only spin at higher loads? Because when the fan spins at speed, it doesn't make much noise so I wouldn't mind the fan to keep running all the time.

Kind regards

Still no reply from that engineer? I got the same kind of problem. Sounds like the fan 'tries' to start and it goes back and forth for some reason. My solution is simple, can we disable the system that makes the fan only spin at higher loads? Because when the fan spins at speed, it doesn't make much noise so I wouldn't mind the fan to keep running all the time.

Kind regards

That would be an option maybe.

Actually we have identified the issue please use the link on the left and request an RMA and post your case number I will have our customer service contact you with an option to get the unit replaced.

I'm contacting the shop i bought it from first to see what they can do for me, since I live in Belgium and shipping my psu will leave me pc-less..

Hi, i'm also living in Belgium and have exactly the same problem. I've contacted the shop where i bought the computer and the psu, and after one week they told "we don 't hear anything"... and i had to pay them for testing the psu...

Since the noise is exactly the same (when the psu fan stop) and is louder then the fans in the case, i don't know what to do... Keep the noisy psu or try to change it in the shop where i bought it with the risk they tell me they don't hear any noise again

Archived