Corsair Community

TwinX Dell Compatibility

ewindell

I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I have searched this site and have not found an answer to my problem. The issue is new Corsair memory running at 333Mhz and not 400Mhz. I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 mini tower with a 3.0Ghz processor running at 800Mhz fsb. The memory that shipped with that pc runs at 400Mhz. I have the latest bios for it - v. A04. Both processor and chipset of this machine are rated to run at 800Mhz. I purchased 2Gb (4 x 512MB modules) of TwinX1024-3200LLPT to upgrade this machine with. I am unable to get this memory to run at anything other than 333Mhz. The Dell bios does not have anyway to change these settings. I have tried running it with only 1GB and have the same issue. If I put the original memory that shipped with the workstation it runs it at 400Mhz. I have tried different combinations of the memory to see if it makes any difference with no success. I have tried solutions that I have seen posted about verifying the latest bios, resetting the bios, etc. and have had no luck in getting the Corsair memory to run at 400Mhz. I have not found any postings about compatibility issues with the Dell Optiplex GX270 if there are any. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employee
I doubt that this system will run these modules even 2 at DDR400! But you can try and set the timings manually if you have that option to Cass 3-3-3-8 and see if it will run at DDR400 or I would suggest you get 1 Twinx2048-3200 instead!

ram guy - thanks for the quick reply. Why dont you think it will run these modules? I can run the system with 4 sticks of memory that ships with these systems at 400Mhz - so I know it can be done. And why would I go with one stick of memory? I was under the impression that PC-3200 DDR memory was designed to work better in pairs.

PC3200 (JEDEC specs) are not designed to run in pairs. [url]http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/specs.htm[/url] Chipset: Intel 865G small form-factor computer: 160 W Hopefully this info is useful. I can tell you this though, I used to work for Dell and their motherboards are very proprietary. They may just not want to play nice with the memory. Also, it seems based on that link that certain variations of that system handle memory amounts differently.

thanks for the link wired - that is a great summery page. it sounds like I may just have to buy the memory from Dell to insure that it works correctly. I have been supporting Dells in the workplace for years and know that they have proprietary boards - but I had hoped that memory rated for the system would work.

• Corsair Employee
Dell makes a great system, but I would suggest if you want to add memory you use a module that is JEDEC compliant or close to spec. like the part I gave you Twinx2048-3200 or Twinx1024-3200 will both work in this system!

Archived