Corsair Community

Build Repair

kevbeab

Built my own semi gaming pc and as it turns out I underestimated my PSU. It died and I bought a new more powerful one. Tried to plug it in and nothing powered up. It passes the "paper clip" test, not sure I will like what that means.

Suggestions?

I personally don't have any other psu's that are an option and I am easily 45-60 minutes from a place that I could get another or have it checked.

I did notice that the 24 pin connector on my dead psu has all 24 wires but the corsair does not. It is missing a white wire, would that have any bearing on working or not?

I really hope that the psu going down didn't hurt my mb...it was a pricey build for me anyway and having to replace the psu and mb would be tough.

I did notice that the 24 pin connector on my dead psu has all 24 wires but the corsair does not. It is missing a white wire, would that have any bearing on working or not?

No, that wire used to go to a -5v rail for an older ATX specification that your new system does not use.

Try starting the machine by touching the two pins on the MB where your case power switch connect to. It may be just a bad case switch.

If the PSU passes the paperclip test i would say your issue lies elsewhere. But without another PSU to test with it would be hard to make that call.

Out of curiousity, how big was the other PSU that you used?

Linksys PS600BK

really only a 300-W supply when running, from what i can tell the gs700 should be more than enough but if i can't get power to the mb then it doesn't matter

i will see what i can do with the connections and update later, thanks

I think I figured it out. I won't say what because you will think me a moron and I am doing pretty well thinking that on my own....

wow, i won't let myself live this one down too soon

thanks for all the help tho

I think I figured it out. I won't say what because you will think me a moron and I am doing pretty well thinking that on my own....

Please do say! We all have made little mistakes or overlooked something small at one point. And if there is a chance it will help others that are in the same situation it's well worth it.!:)

Archived