Corsair Community

Freeze on Force Series F120GB2

helltom

The SSD freezes after 5-6 minutes running. No access possible then in Win 7 and the pc also starts to freeze. Within these 5-6 minutes you have full access on the SSD and then the PC. A check with CrystalDiskInfo shows a 100 % OK for the SSD. Also tried to change the SATA connection from 1-4 without any improvement. BIOS has the lastest version and is running for SATA with AHCI. I also tried to change back to IDE with no success.

I checked with a emergency disk from "computerbild" with the OS Linux to search for virus or other defects and got the same problem. Also after approx. 6 minutes no access to the SSD. During this test the OS Linux is only running from the DVD.

The firmware on the SSD is 2.0

Do you have any idea?

• Corsair Employees

It looks to be an issue with the MB you have the Nvidia chipset has a been an issue with all SSD's sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Go to device manager and then under Standard Dual PCI IDE controllers (maybe listed as Nvidia) Select Driver details The driver provider should be Microsoft if not click Update driver , The Brows for driver, then select Lety me Pick from a list. You should see the Nvidia driver and the Microsoft driver select Microsoft and reboot.

First I changed the cable, it doesn´t work. But during this test I disconnected the power supply of the SSD (for sure not a good idea) and this gives me again some minutes to work with the pc. Next I try to use the Nvidia driver. Keep you updated.

I changed the driver to NVIDIA unfortunately no improvement. Should I built in a switch to disconnect every 5 minute the power supply. For the moment the only solution. :-)

I am still working with this solution on the "problem" PC and adding this reply.

• Corsair Employees
No I would suggest using a PCI or PCI-E S-ATA controller card will be the best solution or replace the MB with something newer. But to be sure it is not a problem with the drive I would test it in another system.

Ok, first I will test the drive in another system.

Just as additional infromation.

The drive was running over the last years without problem and suddenly after 2 weeks vacation (the PC was not in use and disconnected from the power) this problem startet 1 day after working with the PC without problems. I had some minor problems on the 1st day with all the updates from Windows and the Virus Scan (Kaspersky), but the system was running without freeze.

I tried to run the drive in a different PC. The same picture, freezing after approx. 5 minutes. So it seems that the freezing has directly to do with the drive.

Is it possible that an update from windows has an effect on the behavior of the ssd, even in a different pc or under a different OS?

Should I buy a new ssd and try to clone the data, I need anyhow a additional drive? Disconnecting & connecting again the power gives me allways another 5 minutes to work with.

Or do you have some other ideas what I can try?

The roll back was the first thing what I did after the first freezing came up. I had some difficulties to do this because of the time limit. May be I try it again because now I have a solution for the time limit (disconnecting/connecting).

• Corsair Employees
I would back up the data to a spinning HDD and you can request an RMA using the link on the left and once you have the conformation you can call our customer service and see if they can do an advanced RMA for you if you like.

Do you think its not possible to clone the ssd so that I can run the new ssd as OS disk and later I use the actual ssd to store data?

As mentioned, I need a additional ssd to store and work with digital pictures and I was just befor ordering one befor the problem came up.

Do you have a recommendation for a new one, also with 120 GB that can work with my system?

I talked to a colleague and he mentioned that it could happen that Win 7 is sending a Trim request to the ssd but the nvidia chipset of the MB do not give this request to the ssd. My problem occured after I added some more data to the ssd and reached approx. 90GB. Do you have a tool to do a manual trim or to check if the Trim is really performed on the ssd.

Before I send the disk to the cutomer service I wanted to save as much data as possible. During this i figured out that in some areas (some files) the data could not be read. I started a disk check incl. the option to repair defekt clusters. The process ended by 21% with the message, a cluster cannot be replaced due to missing space. There is still space available but it seems the ssd cannot use this space ?? Any idea how I can fix this to save as much data form the ssd before i send it to the customer service or will the cutomer service clone the ssd and I will get back a working disk?

• 2 weeks later...
The problem is fixed. With a backup from Windows I could get my system back on a new SSD. In the next step I used secure erase in Parted Magic to clear the problem SSD. Now I bought a new motherboard with the chipset from AMD 970 because in some other forums I read that you need for a correct function of trim in AHCI mode a chipset from AMD not older than 870. The new system is running extrem fast and the old SSD is used right now only to store pictures and no system. Thanks to the forum.

Archived