Corsair Community

Computer will not boot (recently installed GS700 PSU)

mricci

Hi all, first time posting here. I recently installed a new GPU: Radeon HD 6850 and a new PSU: Corsair GS700. Everything has been pretty smooth however as I was mid game in starcraft 2 my computer shut down. I tried restarting it only to have the PSU start up for a couple of seconds and then stop (in specific the fan just stops). Most importantly my computer doesn't boot, nor is power supplied to the keyboard or mouse (likely other things too). The strangest part is when I try to manually shut my computer down by holding the power button for the standard period of time it doesn't work. I must turn the power switch on the PSU off. It is worth noting that the computer was somewhat hot inside.

I am new to this game so I would appreciate any help and some patience on the matter. I believe my system pieces are somewhere in my profile considering when I signed up I put them in. If not I can post my system.

Please help! My laptop from the paleolithic era will not suffice running the games I play.

Remove the PSU and run the Paperclip test found here

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991

You'll need to attach a couple of case fans and maybe an old spinning hard drive so the PSU senses a load to start up. If it fails this then you'll need to replace the PSU.

If you are still within your resellers return period i would start there. If not use the link on the left to request an RMA.

If it passes, then i would look at other components in your system.

Hey, so as I was about to unplug everything connected to my power supply I realized that ever since I got my new GPU I've been having problems. The GPU requires direct connection to the PSU. I unplugged the connection to the GPU and then replugged it back in, volia. My computer is back to running. Any ideas what this may indicate?

If you prefer I can still do the paper clip test (I am grateful for your quick response and will follow your instructions) however I figure if the computer is back to running after re-connecting the GPU then the PSU is likely OK?

yeah I am leaning towards the GPU being the trouble maker. I had it installed with my older power supply and it was having the same problem. I buffed my power supply with an epic GS700 and things were going swell until SC2 on ultra crashed me. I will move this issue to the ATI GPU forums. Thank you all for your help.

Archived