Corsair Community

My new build won't POST when RAM is installed - CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

VHB

Alright, so earlier this year I decided that I wanted to build myself a high-end rig. I believe I've got a fair amount of computer know-how, & have built them in the past. So, in January I decided to buy some components including:

- Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 (ie, motherboard)

- Corsair H80

- CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B (ie, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 RAM sticks)

- among a few other little things

Now, after that, due to a number of circumstances out of my control I unfortunately hadn't been able to afford any other parts for my computer until recently. I have since bought nearly-all the parts for my computer (3770k, Intel 520 240GB, ******** Caviar Black 2TB, Corsair AX850, etc etc) & yesterday begun to build my computer.

I begun to build it outside of the case first, & so far all that is connected to my mobo is the 3770k processor, the H80 cooler, & the AX850 PSU. When the computer boots up, it cuts off instantly & then boots back up & will stay on however nothing will appear on my monitor. At this time, also, I get a solid red light on my DRAM_LED light. If I then decided to add in my RAM sticks, any number into any of the slots, the computer will turn on but then basically just power-cycle continuously until I cut the power at the PSU; it'll turn on, fans will come on & everything, & then after a few seconds it cuts off, only to repeat the process a few seconds later all-the-while nothing still appears on my monitor. Also, the DRAM_LED now flashes whilst the "computer" is powered on.

I've not picked all these components on a whim, with frankly not being able to afford all the components I've spent many months researching into it all & as far as I could tell everything should be working together however I can not for the life of me get this to work. I've phoned Asus up & they said that they believe the RAM is not compatible with my motherboard. They then told me to check for myself, & gave me the link, & sure enough it isn't on the list. I've looked on the Corsair Configurator &, to be fair, my motherboard does not appear on the list either.

Though the QVL for the mobo lists:

"CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9(XMP) 8GB ( 2x 4GB )"

Is that not just 2 of the 4 sticks I own, sold as a pack of 2 instead of 4? Why would then my sticks, CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B, not be compatible?

Also, I can not seem to find the "P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3" model anywhere on this website. The slightly-older "P8Z68-V Pro" model is, but not Gen3. Surely if the RAM is compatible with the older mobo, as it apparently is (yes, that's for the Black RAM & I have the Blue RAM but that shouldn't make any difference; also, I can't find the equivalent list for the Blue RAM), then it should work perfectly fine with my mobo.

And, just to top it all off, numerous sites recommend buying this RAM (blue or black modules) when buying this RAM, such as:

- Amazon

- eBuyer

- eBuyer (here, if you buy this RAM it suggests you get this mobo)

- forum theads/posts

- more forum threads/posts - here, a member called "bopchoy" has a rig with the original V-Pro mobo & 16gb Corsair Vengeance RAM (presumably the same as what I have) & he seems to be able to get it to work.

- many other forum posts & a whole load of other pages that I've read over the past 8 months that say/suggest it should/would work together.

I understand this is getting quite long now, but I'm at a complete & utter loss of what to do. I'm not sure if the RAM is faulty, or if it is indeed truly incompatible with my mobo, or if the mobo is faulty, or what?

Please help, it would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks!

Edit: My problem is kinda similar from this video on youtube actually:

Edit 2: Found the Corsair Configurator page for the Vengeance Blue sticks. Still, the P8Z68-V Pro is listed, but not the P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your MB? If not please flash to the latest version and see if this is any better. After the BIOS flash All you should have to do is load set-up defaults and then enable XMP.

If this does not work test each module by itself in the first slot with memtest(link on the left side) Let each stick run for 3 pases or until you get an error.

If you have sticks that error try them in other slots with memtest and that will rule out a slot issue as well.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for your response.

I've infact spent the whole night tonight-so far researching through the internet how to solve this problem. It now appears that, yes, I do not have the correct BIOS installed for it to support Ivy Bridge. The mobo does support it, but it needs to be updated first. I think I read that it needs to be atleast version 0302, whereas I've got 0301. The only problem is, it's Catch 22: I can't boot up the computer to update the BIOS, but I can't update the BIOS as I don't have an older LGA1155 processor to hand. I'm going to have to beg around town tomorrow to see if I can borrow one from somewhere, I think.

This seems to have come up completely separately to the RAM issue, but I imagine it could well be what is causing all of this.

Unless there is any other way of upgrading the BIOS? At the very worst/last resort, I could buy the cheapest LGA1155 pre-Ivy Bridge processor I can find, but that seems like an awful waste of money for something I'm only going to use for a few short minutes solely to update the mobo.

The latest BIOS is 3402, i would suggest using that one.

You should be able to flash it using the EZ flash method with a properly formatted USB stick. I would give that a try first and see if it will work. It should detect the USB before booting and start flashing on it's own.

The EZ flash method is covered in your owners manual. if you need reference.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for your response.

I've infact spent the whole night tonight-so far researching through the internet how to solve this problem. It now appears that, yes, I do not have the correct BIOS installed for it to support Ivy Bridge. The mobo does support it, but it needs to be updated first. I think I read that it needs to be atleast version 0302, whereas I've got 0301. The only problem is, it's Catch 22: I can't boot up the computer to update the BIOS, but I can't update the BIOS as I don't have an older LGA1155 processor to hand. I'm going to have to beg around town tomorrow to see if I can borrow one from somewhere, I think.

This seems to have come up completely separately to the RAM issue, but I imagine it could well be what is causing all of this.

Unless there is any other way of upgrading the BIOS? At the very worst/last resort, I could buy the cheapest LGA1155 pre-Ivy Bridge processor I can find, but that seems like an awful waste of money for something I'm only going to use for a few short minutes solely to update the mobo.

VHB, in this situation, I would contact ASUS so they can help you. If you explain your problem (can't boot computer to update BIOS due to your newer chip) they will be able to assist you I am sure.

Archived