Corsair Community

500r top fan mount?

supermanava

I have a set of Cooler Master 120mm Fans for the top of my 500r. I just can't figure out how I am supposed to mount them?

I see the rubber standoffs on the top that correspond to the 120mm fan, and I have these long fan screws... but they wont hold the fan in place, and they're not long enough to use some kind of nut on.

How are these supposed to be mounted?

Link to the fans I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-120mm-Silent-Value/dp/B000O8I474

Use the screws that came with the fan. The long screws that came with the case are for mounting fans to the hdd cages.

I have the exact same fans btw. I took out the lower cage for better airflow and then mounted one of the fans to the top hdd cage so it blows right on my video card. then I mounted one on the bottom next to the psu, and the other 2 up top as exhaust. I also used the the rear fan as the 2nd fan for push/pull on my h50.

That set of 4 is a super quick and easy way to fill up the case with fans. I do plan on replacing the top 2 with a set of af140's soon though as those 120s don't push a ton of air, but they are quite.

Some pics so you can see how i set them up.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g97/xupthree60/IMAG0272-1.jpg

Just use the chrome screws that came with the fans.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g97/xupthree60/IMAG0273.jpg

Make sure to think about how to rotate the fans so the cables line up when you mount them.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g97/xupthree60/IMAG0274.jpg

My MB is thin but full length so the cpu sits too close for push pull, thats why the 2nd fan is mounted on the outside of the case. it has a dust cover on it so you cant touch the fan and it keeps it a little quite. Overall it is very quite, the loudest fan is the one that came with the h50 (inside the case attached to the radiator). Temps under load are about 10c lower for both the cpu and video card than my old case (single fan on the rad in the old case). When I take the top cover off I can feel warm air under the top fans so I want to get the af140's to get more of that out and my system should run even cooler.

awesome thanks for the advice, i think i got it figured out. do you have that fan on the bottom blowing out?

i ended up using the last fan to double up on my cpu/heatsink (hyper 212).

my cables are a mess right now, but i'll have to clean that all up later.

In spite of the lack of any documentation, I still also must add: props to corsair. My first build after about 10 years. I wish I had cases like these back then.

Only regret is the power supply I used (600w ********). Got it free, so I can't complain. But I'll get a corsair next time.

(Edit, didn't realize TT was a dirty word)

The only fans i have blowing out are the 2 top fans. if you have positive pressure (more fans blowing in than out) it cuts down on dust. The reason is if you have negative pressure (more fans blowing out) then dust starts come in from all the openings in the case, where with positive pressure air is actually going out those openings. If you have a bottom fan it should be an intake anyways because hot air rises and the fan is filtered by the psu filter as well. I just wish they had a filter for the giant 200mm fan on the side.

As far as cable management, I find it faster and easier to just get it out of the way from the start. Just throw all your psu cables out the opening next to it and then push them back in where they need to be. Keep them all tight into the channel so you don't see them a mess behind the hdd cages. Then add the sata cables and do the same thing, connect them to your MB and then right out and back in where you need them.

Archived