Corsair Community

Same type modules different version not working together

fireillusion

Hello. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. On 01/2010 I built my system with 4gb of memory cmx4gx3m2a1600c9 version 2.1. A year and a half later I bought another set of this module to reach 8gb of memory only this set was version 6.0. I noticed the version number only recently. Since I installed the second set I have been getting bsods error code 124 mainly while playing BF3. For the past couple of weeks I removed the second set of modules (version 6.0) and the system is running fine. I wrote to the company about this and their answer was: " We really don’t’ recommend mixing and matching sets of memory even if they have exact same part # or even spec. We cannot guarantee one set of memory will work with another as these sets are not tested this way. This is going to be a 50/50 chance due to some motherboard will let you do it and some boards are just pickier than others and this is the reason why DRAM vendors would sell them in kits of a specific capacity. Also, each kit would be produce earlier/later than other, meaning BOM (Build of Materials) are going to be different from a kit that was built previously and a kit with the same spec that is currently in the market, this may cause the system to behave erratically when paired together. Best would be is to get a set of RAM that has the total capacity that you really prefer " All the tests that I have run came out ok, no problem, including memtest86. I couldn't imagine that there would be such a compatibility problem. Anyway I ordered a new set CML8GX3M2A1600C9W winch is guaranteed to be compatible with my m/b according to corsair. Is there any chance to RMA the version 6 ones? I bought them from a local retail store and haven't contacted them yet. Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

You can try and reduce the frequency to the next lowest SPD grade (1333mhz) and see if that will not get them to play nice together. You could also try and add some more QPI voltage between 1.35v and 1.45v and try again. But do not add more than what you need to get them stable if it's possible.

Apart from that if that does not work there really isn't alot you can do except to return them and buy a single 8 gig set.

Is there any chance to RMA the version 6 ones? I bought them from a local retail store and haven't contacted them yet. Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

Since they all test out fine, it would not be an RMA that would be a return and best to start with your reseller. If they are unwilling to help then i would call CS and see if there isn't something they can do to help you.

Thanks for the reply.

During the last six months I have tried every combination in BIOS you can imagine. Nothing worked.

I hope the new ones I ordered will work fine.

For the old ones I will try to contact my reseller but I think that I won't have any luck.

No problem. Unfortunately it is hit or miss with different kits.

I think you'll be just fine with a matched kit. When you get them make sure you load set-up/optimized defaults and then enable XMP is all you should have to do to set them up.

Be sure to have the latest BIOS for your board too. Can't stress that enough.

As far as your old modules go you can try contacting CS and see if they will RMA them even though there is nothing technically wrong with them. But that could potetially p[ut you right back where you started.

Or, you could always sell them on E-bay to recoup some of the cost.:)

I got my new rams (CML8GX3M2A1600C9W) and i still have bsod and sudden restart problems when i set xmp otion in bios to profile1. I leave all other settings at auto and the settings concerning the processor all at enable so that it speeds down when idle.

One thing I noticed is when I enable xmp the CPU clock drive drops from 800mv to 700mv. And the PCI express clock drive drops from 900mv to 700mv. Could this be due to the lower voltage of ram (1.35)?

I really don't know what voltage settings to mess with and how to set load line calibration (LLC). Even raising the qpi/vtt voltage to 1.20 didn't help.

Any ideas?

Yesterday i opened my case took out the cooler and the processor cleaned it all up and put them back together.

When i use 8 gb of ram it always crashes. I used 4 sticks of 2 gb xms 3 (two ver 2.3 and two ver 6.0) which are included in my m/b's qvl list and 2 sticks of 4 gb vengeance lp white. The only way that i can make it work is when i use 4 gb only (2x2gb xms3 ver 2.3).

I tried several combinations in bios but whatever i do the system crashes.

So the system can work trouble free with only 4gb of ram?

Does this sound logical to you?

I used 4 sticks of 2 gb xms 3 (two ver 2.3 and two ver 6.0)

So the system can work trouble free with only 4gb of ram?

Does this sound logical to you

To a point. Like i stated earlier in this thread when you mix different memory kits it can be hit or miss. Even if you had the same version numbers your chances would not be much better.

The problem you are having lies in the construction of the modules. The different versions indicate that the materials and memory IC's used are completely different. This is why Corsair continually stresses that it is very important to use only one kit of memory per MB.

Both the kits are listed in the QVL but that doesn't mean you can use both at the same time. Just that those kits at one point have been tested on their own and proven to be compatible with your system.

You should always purchase the amount of memory you want or think you are going to end up with all at once and use a single package of memory I.E. A matched 8 gig kit. Whether it be a 4x2 kit or a 2x4gig kit.

I really believe that would solve your issues!

What about the latest BIOS for your MB? Is that up to date? I suggested that earlier but you didn't say if you did that or not. If you have not updated the BIOS i would strongly urge you to do this.

And with the LP Vengeance ,your system specs specs say you are using two 8 gig kits. Is this correct?

Yes I use the latest bios.

I have three memory kits.

One kit is 2x2 GB xms3 version 2.3

One kit is 2x2 GB xms3 version 6.0 brought those as an upgrade.

One kit is 2x4 GB vengeance lp white bought those because I thought the problem was the non matching kits.

My pc runs ok only with the first kit.

• 1 month later...
One kit is 2x4 GB vengeance lp white bought those because I thought the problem was the non matching kits.

My pc runs ok only with the first kit.

The LP whites are 1.35v memory and may need more voltage to run correctly on your system. I would set those to 1.5v and see if they are stable.

Lets see if you can get those to run correctly. If we can, then it would go back to mixing kits as being the problem as per your OP.

The first gen I-7's used 1.5 to 1.65v memory.

I am afraid I will damage the memory if I set its voltage that high. Also when running without xmp it's voltage is set at 1.5 and with xmp on it set automatically at 1.35

Corsair states that this memory is compatible with my motherboard.

What am I doing wrong? I checked before buying.

I am afraid I will damage the memory if I set its voltage that high. Also when running without xmp it's voltage is set at 1.5 and with xmp on it set automatically at 1.35

The modules wil take up to 2.0 volts before either damaging the modules or voiding the warranty. And the memory controller on your CPU is good to 1.65v.

Load set-up defaults and enable XMP , then manually set the voltage to 1.5v and see if they are stable then.

Not only that it's not my hardware so i would never suggest settings that are above either Intel or Corsair specs. Once you exceed those the users warranty is gone and those would be at your own risk. But DO NOT apply to this situation.

Corsair states that this memory is compatible with my motherboard.
It is, and it is also compatible with a wide variety of other systems too. But that does not mean you wont have to do some fine tuning depending on the system.

For ex. This same memory on an older AMD machine would need between 1.7-1.9v. But it is still listed as compatible for that board. AMD do not use the XMP profile so that would all have to be set manually.

What am I doing wrong? I checked before buying.

It's not that you are doing anything wrong, just a few minor mistakes. Thats what makes us human ya know!!

The Vengeance series was designed for the newer Sandybridge/Ivybridge CPU which will run the lower memories with out much problem. The XMP profiles are not really optimized for the older chipset MB's. The p55,x58 ect chipset boards generally required more voltage at the same frequencies than their newer counter parts do.

I wouldn't even use xmp profile. Usually causes more trouble then good on first gen i7s imo. Just set ur speed 1600 MHz. Set ur first 4 timing 9-9-9-24 or whatever is on the side of the sticks and set ur ram voltage and qpi/vtt voltage to 1.25 to start, leave everything else auto. 124 bsod is qpi or CPU vcore. In your case your not overclocking so its very unlikely to be your vcore. Its likely something your setting your ram at, or that xmp profile is setting something that would need more qpi/vtt to be stable. Manually set ur settings without xmp like i said then if your still getting 124 bsod start turning up your qpi/vtt to gain stability. I needed 1.275v to get 8gb stable on my i7 860 setup then 1.36v for 16gb. Also if you look at corsair under your ram specifications it says tested at 1.35v 1600mhz, then it says SPD 1.5v. Not sure what SPD means but I'm guessing its something to do with the Max recommended voltage. From what I understand all ddr3 ram should be fine to run at or above even 1.65v.

So the settings should be:

Dram voltage 1.5

Qpi/vtt ? Auto or 1.2 ?

Should I change anything else?

Yes, except for the QPI. Set that to 1.35v. I dont think 1.25 will do it, but you can try it.

@ Hoooded

Also if you look at corsair under your ram specifications it says tested at 1.35v 1600mhz, then it says SPD 1.5v. Not sure what SPD means but I'm guessing its something to do with the Max recommended voltage. From what I understand all ddr3 ram should be fine to run at or above even 1.65v.

These are the low voltage LP vengeance modules that are supposed to run at 1600mhz with 1.35v. But that is more or less for the Sandy/Ivybridge It has nothing to do with max voltage. it's the frequency they were tested at. The SPD would be default settings or 1333mhz then "tested" would be the overclock settings or1600mhz. Which all do not really apply to this situation because they wont run at 1600mhz on 1.35v with an x58 MB.

From what I understand all ddr3 ram should be fine to run at or above even 1.65v.

Really depends on the chipset,modules used. The first gen Sandy's, Intel was adamant about using nothing but 1.5v memory. Then they recanted that with the second gen Sandy's and said up to 1.65v would be fine. But in no way would you want to exceed this due to risk of burning out the memory controller in the CPU. At least with Intels. AMD's may require 1.7 to 1.9 in some cases but depends on the CPU and MB used.

Archived