Corsair Community

New to adding fans

JohnD212

I'm having a system built by Digital Storm using the Corsair 550D case. I'm prepared to add a fan or two to this beautiful case but have zero experience doing it. I know the 550D has lots of areas I can add fans but I'm also trying to keep my system fairly silent since that's why I stuck with the 550D. I want to put a fan in the side panel and see it can take two 120mm or two 140mm or 1 200mm fan.

I plan to possibly hook the side fan to a fan controller so I can just turn it on when I'm gaming to help with possible heat build up.

First: is it a good idea to use one 200mm fan instead of two 140mm fans?

Next: On the 550D case should the side fan be intake?

Thanks for your advice.

First: is it a good idea to use one 200mm fan instead of two 140mm fans?

Sure, larger fans move more air at lower rpms. So they will be generally quieter than the smaller ones.

: On the 550D case should the side fan be intake?

Best to try it both ways and see what makes a greater impact on your overall temps. Every rig is going to be different so what works on one may not be so great on the next.

• Corsair Employees
I want to put a fan in the side panel and see it can take two 120mm or two 140mm or 1 200mm fan.

Yes, the 550D will take a 200mm on the side and like what Peanutz said, 200mm fan can move more air without having to worry about noise.

Archived