Corsair Community

Question regarding new AX650 unit

Dethshayde

I've just installed this PSU and the 12v readings are worrying me a bit. My multimeter reads just north of 12.3, my BIOS reads about 12.4 and every program I've checked in Windows (several of them) jumps between 12.4 and 12.5.

I know that technically below 12.6 is within spec, but I've never ever seen a unit this far off before and I was certainly expecting better than that from an expensive GOLD power supply. Is this typical for the AX650? I don't want to have to mess about with RMA's again after the incredibly huge headache the H100 put me through :(:.

• Corsair Employees
The Voltage can be controlled by the MB to some extent but 12 Volts +- 5% is well within spec and nothing to worry about at 12.3-12.5 Volts, while I agree it seems high it may be where your system wants to run. However I don't have a problem replacing it under an RMA if you like? If so please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

The Voltage can be controlled by the MB to some extent but 12 Volts +- 5% is well within spec and nothing to worry about at 12.3-12.5 Volts, while I agree it seems high it may be where your system wants to run. However I don't have a problem replacing it under an RMA if you like? If so please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

So long as it won't be an issue (multimeter reads 12.35 idle and 12.31 with a load) then I won't worry about it. With my luck I'd get a replacement with nasty coil whine or something.

I just noticed something (probably nothing important really). On my box it says 'Supports ATX 12V 2.3 and EPS12V 2.91' but on your product page it says 2.31 and 2.92. Are the boxes misprinted or did I maybe get a really old unit from Newegg that was before an updated revision?

Probably won't matter, but I'm just curious :):.

• Corsair Employees
The BOX will have the current information and as noted it is with in the spec sold on our site just a slight update to the PSU is all. And 12.3-12.4 Volts is good you should be fine!

I've done some more searching and it looks like it is typical for Seasonics X platform to have a rail that is a bit above optimal (not limited to Corsair's units). No worries then. :): I'm just glad that mine doesn't squeal like a stuck pig as I guess that has been a problem as well (at low load, strangely enough). My ears are extremely sensitive to high frequency noise. Call it a curse.

One more question though and I apologize for being so inquisitive... If I were to tear those little plastic tabs off of the molex connectors, would that void my warranty? They make the plugs 3 times as thick and it would be a whole lot easier to close the back of my case if those weren't there. I guess plan B would be to replace the plugs but what a pain. I don't have the proper tool for it either.

Thanks guys.

Found this on Google. I don't have a camera myself but it's the same.

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/skymtl/PSU_review/TX750/CORSAIR-10.jpg

The plastic 'tabs' on the connectors, which are supposed to act as an ejection mechanism and make it easier to unplug them from stuff (they don't work anyhow to be honest, you guys could probably save a few cents by just using normal plugs). You can pretty easily bend them backwards and pull them off, I've done it before on other units. It doesn't affect the PSU any, but I don't know what you guys would consider as 'damage' that would void my warranty, so... figured I'd ask :D:.

Archived